Lurch

Open screw eyes versus closed

Ok now that I am confident screw eyes are good for most fish, do you guys use the open or closed eyes? I find split rings a giant pain in the Bum with my giant gorilla fingers. But I am afraid that pinching them down would cause sheer and weaken the ring? Do any of you use open rings? Any issues?

I've been using both for over 10 years...have never had a FAIL...caught up to a 9 plus blackie & a 15 lb striper...screwed into poplar and azek...using split rings Owner 50-60#...no problems....But to each his own!

• Like 1

I think it's easier to use open screw eyes so you don't have the problem of bending the split ring while putting them on.  Actually, I don't buy screw eyes anymore because I prefer to twist my own screw eyes from soft temper stainless wire.  You can make them any size, any length, and there's no way for them to bend open again.  Plus they have more glue surface on their shanks.

• Like 2

I too make my own twist eyes, but also use split rings to facilitate hook changes. The Texas Tackle split ring pliers are the best I've found, which leads to minimal split ring damage. (TU's owner LPO actually just added these BTW).

Lastly, the stainless split rings are weaker in the same size so unless needed for salt/brackish water I avoid those..

craig