markh28

Getting a small amount of paint

What are some of the ways you can get a small amount of paint out of a can?  Other than the obvious, pouring it out.  Pouring it is messy and seems wasteful to me especially when some of the paint I am using is pretty costly.  Anyone have any tricks?

I use the tap the can method on my moisture cure urethane to get a small amount out without opening the can and allowing air and moisture into the can which starts the curing process.  I used metal roofing screws that are self tapping and these have rubber gaskets which seal the can. Be careful using an electric drill to screw the roofing screw into the can as the cans are very thin and will strip easily.  So for the MCU's we screw a screw near the bottom of the can on the side. This is the spigot. We also put one in the top of the can and we spray bloxygen in there to protect the Urethane from air and moisture. The bloxygen is a heavy gas, argon I believe, which is heavier than air that settles on the top protecting the urethane. When we want a little, we just take out our screw spigot and let it flow into a mixing cup and then put the screw back in. If the gasket tears, and some will, replace the screw with a new one. I tried to find a pic but must have deleted it. Hope this helps.

What I am wanting to do is get about an airbrush cup full of paint.  I have a couple 2oz cans of dick nite paint that I just received.  I want to shoot them through an airbrush, and I will need to get a small amount into a mixing cup to thin out before I spray it.  When I open the can and pour it, its going to slop all over the side of the can and get in the lid and everything.  just wondered if there is an easier way.  Perhaps I am overthinking this whole thing.  It definitely would not be the first time I have done that...

An irrigation syringe (no needle, just a plastic nozzle) would work just fine.  I use them for all kinds of things.  They are used in hydroponics a lot.  Applying oil or grease to spot locations, drawing up chemicals, flushing out the hole in your head were a wisdom tooth was pulled, etc etc... LOL. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xirrigating+syringe.TRS0&_nkw=irrigating+syringe&_sacat=0

You can get plastic ''pipettes'' for a few cents each on ''the bay'', BUT you might have to buy a 100--very handy-  I use them all the time and they are immune to most solvents.

Look I even found some--  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xplastic+pipetts.TRS0&_nkw=plastic+pipetts&_sacat=0

Pete