61 replies to this topic

#61 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

If you make a jerk bait that slowly rises in the test tank, the line you use can affect it when you fish it, too.  It will remain slightly buoyant if you use nylon monofilament, but will either suspend, or slowly sink, if you use fluorocarbon, depending on the line size.

I use mono when the water's warmer than 70 degrees, because I do want the bait to rise on the pause.

Below 70 degrees, I use fluorocarbon, so I get either a suspending or slowly sinking action with the same bait.

So many variables, so little time!  Hahaha

#62 EdL

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Mark I was thinking the same thing about line affecting the rise of bait or even how deep a crankbait will go. Some line materials tend to sink while others float  One trick to adjust the bait's sink or fall rate in the field (or rather while fishing) is to have some thin lead wire in the box.  That way you can add bit of wire to adjust the rise or sink rate.  Just wrap a few turns around the hook shank.  Also they sell some stick on weights.  Don't have a good idea how to make it float.

The science and theory behind how a lure works is interesting to this ole retired engineer but I don't really worry about it too much about exact fall or sink rate.  I am not that good at finding where the fish are so catching them is more about some knowledge but more about luck for me.  I'm not out to catch every fish in the world.  I'm about just getting out on the lake, enjoying nature and let the world's issue clear from my mind.  If I happen to catch some fish with a lure I've made then the day is an extra special one. That's just me.