Cub48

Help with Silver Please!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help with my silver i will try some of these ideals. Shipping is a big issue i order items

all the time ,but when i go to order a small item that will fit in small box and it is over 15.00 i will not pay that, for it i will wait until i need something else to make the shipping more reasonable. In other words i will wait and buy 10 bottles of something instead of 4  If i had known the shipping deal would be the big topic i would not said anything about it as i was wanting to know if someone has a silver that is the best looking silver out there and how they mix it to get it. And my problem with the ones going on about the shipping they did not even add anything about the main question Silver Plastisol color. Ok guys thanks again for the help Cub48

Guys  i just placed a order for 4 bottles of paint 2 silvers, a silver pearl, and watermelon. one 4oz  and three 2 oz

shipping was $6.45 which i don't have a problem with i think this is the same silver i have that i like and the other looks lighter Maybe another trial and error but i have failed before LOL When u making baits that happens . Thanks Guys Cub48

OK, back to silver.  You can paint the inside of your molds with a powder that is the silver you want. 

https://www.alumilite.com/store/p/953-Alumilite-Metallic-Powder.aspx

https://www.alumilite.com/store/p/1082-Alumidust-clone.aspx

These work for me.  Dust only where you want the silver and let the other colors be painted, poured as normal for you.

Anglinarcher so let me pick your brain, do u use a solid color and paint the mold or u still use the two color and use this method to improve the two color. If u use this system with the solid color how does it hold up in the water. I was looking at another brand of plastic baits and it looked like this system or they had been painted. Because of the appearance of the baits. This maybe something i want to try. Thanks for the info Cub48

PS will this power mix into the plastic and use it like a pearl ?

Edited by Cub48

OK, yes, the powder will mix into the plastic, but to get a true metallic result it must be on the surface.  I can either paint it on the bait after the pour and hit it with a heat gun to seal it, or paint the mold with it and then pour. 

I find I get the most metallic result from painting the inside of the mold and then pouring.  My procedure, at least the best way I can explain, is as follows?

Let's say I want a "rainbow trout" pattern/color.  I will use a white dye in the plastisol for a base.  I then paint the inside of the mold first, starting with my red line.  then I paint in my parr markings and spots.  Then I dust the top with a little dark grey or green for the back, then I dust the silver over the sides.  Consider painting the lure in reverse order because you want the red on the most outside, the parr markings and spots next most outside, etc.........

It really doesn't take that long to do, but I don't make hundreds at a time either.  LOL

How does it hold up?  It becomes part of the plastic and it holds up as well as the plastic holds up.

Sorry I don't have pictures of the process.  I plan on starting to do the videos of my work and putting them on either Makelure.com or YouTube, but........ I moved recently and my stuff is mostly in storage.  I HATE MOVING.

• Like 1

Anglinarcher have u tried the dyes they have. i was looking at their site and saw the different colors they have in dyes. I have just ordered some new paints if they don't work out i may try your system out. The only thing it might take too much time too brush each mold. I do about 280 baby shad at a time. But a few creature baits it would work great. Thanks Cub48