walleye warrior

Powder over cured powder

Can I successfully paint a 2nd and 3rd color powder over a powder painted jig that has been cured? My goal is to paint large quantities of jigs with base colors, silver, yellow chartreuse, white, etc. Cure or partial cure them, them at a later time go back and re-heat and apply the accent colors as needed then again cure in oven.

Any thoughts? Or has anyone ever tried this method?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, walleye warrior said:

Can I successfully paint a 2nd and 3rd color powder over a powder painted jig that has been cured? My goal is to paint large quantities of jigs with base colors, silver, yellow chartreuse, white, etc. Cure or partial cure them, them at a later time go back and re-heat and apply the accent colors as needed then again cure in oven.

Any thoughts? Or has anyone ever tried this method?

Yes you can, I do it all the time. Just make sure when you apply the other colors you do not burn the first one. Low heat and pay attention to what you are doing. Once all your colors are done, gloss over, and bake your jig in the oven to harden it. You will be good to go. Take a look at my avatar there are 6 colors on that jig all powder paint. Also baking your base coat will help stop paint bleed and all of your other colors will be true. Experiment is the key here, but it definitely works.

• Like 3

As Cadman already mentioned, you can do that. I do it on colors like Table Rock Shad which is a while belly, chartreuse body and a purple back. If I don't cure the chartreuse first, the purple over top of the chartreuse will turn brown when cured together so I do one then cure it again. I also do the same thing for the illusion paint, paint the vein base then cure for 10 minutes at 350 and let air cool and then go over with the candy color, it does the same thing, it keeps the top layer from blending with the bottom layer but it does bond  together, it just doesn't allow the colors to bleed.

• Like 2