c_latrans

Devcon help needed

I have tried devcon on a couple baits and am having some trouble getting the devcon on evenly. I am applying the devcon with a small brush and then watching carefully for even coverage. I then rotate the bait by hand for 30 to 45 minutes by hand and then hang. After curing I am finding bare spots. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Can the bare spots be touched up? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dale

Hey C,

could be many things that causes those spots. I've found and members of this site will agree that usually the devcon was spread on too thin, it wasn't mixed properly or there were chemicals on the lure (hand grease)....

to fix the "fish eyes" (i think skeeter came up with this) after the lure has cured, mix up a small batch of devcon and apply to the spots using a tooth pick and then apply cellophane tape over the spot and smooth. after it has cured you can remove the tape and never know that the fish eyes ever existed.

Thanks a bunch guys, I'll give the tape trick a try. I'm sure I'm getting it on thick enough ( it's actually thicker than I'd like ). I think I'm getting it mixed well enough too, I really stir it up good in small batch just big enough to coat one lure at a time. It sure does make a lure shine, and as hard as it gets, it should really be durable. Dale