RAVEN

Musky Lure

I want to make musky lures.  I have made molds for 6 & 8" shad.  Any help telling me how do I get the wire form through the plastic.  I would like the wire to go from the head to the belly, also down to the front fins.  Had a thought about making the form and putting it in the mold.

18 hours ago, RAVEN said:

I want to make musky lures.  I have made molds for 6 & 8" shad.  Any help telling me how do I get the wire form through the plastic.  I would like the wire to go from the head to the belly, also down to the front fins.  Had a thought about making the form and putting it in the mold.

I make some wood saltwater thru wire plugs.

Tip:  For these I have found Annealed 304 Stainless Steel wire to work well as it is easier to bend.  I have tried hard SS and while it works it is considerably harder to bend especially for tail wraps.

Stainless Wire Form

Watch Paul Adams's videoMaking A Weight Shift Balsa Fishing Lure Part 1.

https://youtu.be/1ZBJLt1Rm0Y

He shows hand bending the wire. ( 520 on the video)
If your planning to make a bunch of lures, a jig can be made. Simply drill holes to accept metal pins in a metal or hardwood block at the proper locations and bend metal around them.
Bolts and nails can be used to make pins.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, RAVEN said:

It might be fun to try to split the poured bait, inbed the wire, then glue it back together, but.......

Best to do as implied above; modify your mold to accept the wire and pour as one piece.

14 hours ago, Landry said:

I made a jig for each of my baits too. That way each form comes out the same. 

I have premade wire and lead inserts in three styles - ready for when I feel like pouring Baits. 

Could you send me a couple pictures, so I got a idea.

5 minutes ago, Landry said:

.062 stainless spring wire. It ain't easy to bend but it's necessary for musky. I have also started to use Lureworks bondcoat on the harnesses to grip the plastic and really like that stuff a lot. 

.062 Annealed 304 Stainless Steel wire is easier to bend and works well for toothy critters.

I have tried hard SS and while it works it is considerably harder to bend.

• Like 1

Landry,

You Dah Man!!!

I've used .062 for the shaft on some Whopper Ploppers I built.  They were the 12" wires from LPO with one end already having a loop.  It was a nightmare for me to bend the tail loop after I'd assembled them.   I finally had to put the second loop in a vise so I could barrel wrap back from it with a pair of channel locks.

I want back to the .052 wire because of that.

Hey folks, I recently started using the silicon  mold  for one of my more succesfull  resin body lure to make soft plastic baits that are killing in the Gulf of Mexico with trout , redfish and flounder.  I made a video of how I developed the wire harness for it and a video on  the  wire bending tool and jig I designed.  I'll post them here ...hope it helps someone.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing your techniques, thoughts and design of your bait. Very, very interesting from an engineering standpoint. I also enjoyed seeing how you worked the stainless with your jig to make the homemade harnesses. Great instructional technique and I appreciate the time and effort in its making. Two thumbs up!!!

• Like 1

Well, I really appreciate the positive feedback.  I'm really enjoying making those videos and any suggestions would be  appreciated.  If you  enjoy the videos please be sure to share them with your fishing and lure making buddies, and please subscribe.  I don't sell anything  and I don't promote any products,  I just explore techniques and materials for lure making.

Thanks again.

I haven't posted TU in a long time but I saw this post and had to put in my two cents. I have always used wire bender in the pictures below. It's designed for .051 wire but I used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and opened up both dies enough to fit in the .062. I can bend .062 all day long with this set up, it wraps really well.

15288284373931351629462.jpg

1528828517898481546423.jpg

1528828571540783600813.jpg

• Thanks 1