porkmeatballs

Oomoo 30 silicone problems

Hey guys I just recently tried to make a mold with Oomoo 30 silicone. I hadn't run into any problems before, but when I went to open a new bottle of part A (the pink stuff), it was extremely thick. I mixed it for a long time, but it refused to soften. I still tried to make the mold but it was so bad that I decided to open a different bottle of the part A. It had the same problem. Again, I tried to make a mold and it failed miserably. Did I get a defective batch of silicone? Can this be fixed? Please help!

12 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Hey guys I just recently tried to make a mold with Oomoo 30 silicone. I hadn't run into any problems before, but when I went to open a new bottle of part A (the pink stuff), it was extremely thick. I mixed it for a long time, but it refused to soften. I still tried to make the mold but it was so bad that I decided to open a different bottle of the part A. It had the same problem. Again, I tried to make a mold and it failed miserably. Did I get a defective batch of silicone? Can this be fixed? Please help!

Contact the manufacturer and discuss it with them first.  If they had a bad batch they would know, and, hopefully, they would help you.  That doesn't sound right.

When I used two part silicone (one time because I am cheap), the stuff seemed kind of  thick until I added the catalyst, and mixed it really well.  Even then, it was like thin honey when I poured it into my mold, but it worked.

20 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Well, I just contacted Amazon (that's where i bought it from) and they said they'll refund me! They're going to let me exchange both defective boxes of silicone for two new ones. We'll see if the new ones are any better.

I would go a step farther, and contact the manuf.  It may be that the stock on Amazon is old, and that's why it's on there.  Old two part systems can have one part that has begun to change chemically, and that's why it's on Amazon now.  The manuf. sells off the older stock before it goes bad to places that sell on Amazon.

If the new stuff is still a problem, I'd suggest that you not buy that kind of stuff off of Amazon.   Fresh is really important.

• Like 1

I ordered some and it was so thick I couldn’t get part A out of the bottle. The bottle was also collapsing in on itself when It arrived. Has that happened to anyone else?

3/8/2019 I just got off the phone with Amazon and they refunded me my order because it was so thick it was unusable. Oomoo 30 is sold by a third party through amazon so they are contacting them to say that it’s all expired. 

Edited by Adamgold

Yeah it' s pretty thick stuff to begin with, thins a little after part b is added. But I can imagine getting a bad batch. I used to buy it direct and had great results with it. I used a vibrating toothbrush head to vibrate bubbles out of it. I'd do half the mold, then spray release over that, then do the other half with the second pour while the part was still in it. 

• Like 1