BassJunky

What did I do wrong (2pc Molds)

Today I poured the second half of a few 2pc molds I had been working on. The issue I came across is that the silicone completely sealed togther and I had to cut them apart, salvaging one maybe two of the molds.

i did use a mold release and sprayed it down prior to mixing my silicone (Oomoo 30) 

how can I avoid this in the future?

7 hours ago, uttexas said:

Silicone sticks to silicone

maybe I'm not comprehending, but you have to cut a two piece silicone mold in half after the second half cures

no amount of mold release will prevent the silicone from bonding with the other half of the mold

I guess that was a misunderstanding on my part. Every video I watched showed guys just pulling apart the two sides afterwards

If  I have  to cut them part What's the point on making the locking holes. They just sealed togther. 

A proper mold release does allow you to pull two piece molds apart.  Silicone does stick to silicone, but it can be prevented.

I use UMR from Alumilite for all of my mold release.  You can also paint the first mold half with petroleum jelly and that also works very well.  If you don't use enough mold release, getting the two pieces apart is a real pain, or impossible, so even when I use UMR I spray, allow to dry, spray again, allow to dry, then mix and pour.

Grab your petroleum jelly and make another one and you will have no issues.

4 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

smooth on, If you are using oomoo there has to be something to keep them from bonding. They have a excellent technical support if you call them

thanks, I reached out and they were helpful with some tips.  For those interested here is what they told me:

"Thank you. We do not have information on how Castin' Craft Mold Release Agent will work with our silicone rubbers. Instead, you will want to use our Mann's Ease Release® 200, applying it using the steps below. 

1) Apply a light mist coating over the
entire surface of the model and surrounding
forms (any surface that will come in
contact with the rubber).
Do not over-apply!

2) Use a clean paint brush to brush the
release agent over the surface of the model
and surrounding forms. Make sure that
intricate detail, undercuts and hard-to-reach
areas are coated as thoroughly as possible.

3) Apply another light mist coating and let dry for 10 minutes.

Do not soak your model with release agent. Over-applying
release agent will result in tiny bubbles on the working surface of
your finished mold (pin-holing) and will be reflected in castings
taken from the mold. This is undesirable"

Ill give this a shot this weekend, hopefully round 2 is better

You should be ok once you use the correct mold release for silicone to silicone.  I'd recommend a test run using a small batch of silicone (no lure model) to make sure you have the process down and can get a clean release.  A lot of mold releases contain silicone oil and the silicone rtv just sucks it up.  Looks like the mold release you used before is meant for resin or plaster casting, so that's where the problem was.

• Like 1