CDawson85

Pouring jigs with Mustad 32850 jig hook

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and lure making in general. I wanted to know if anyone has used the Mustad 32850 hook and if so what mold do you use? I currently only have a Poison Tail mold which accepts a 30 degree hook but would like to try this hook in a few other molds once I can acquire them.  Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the board!!!!  I don't know how much experience you have but there isn't a mold that will take the hook stock, you will have to modify the mold to make it work. You can use a Mustad 32886,  or the Eagle Claw 3886 if you want to use a round bend hook but the 32850 is too heavy, the wire diameter is much larger than what the mold will take.   It isn't hard to modify the mold to take that hook, but the difference in wire diameter is such that if you wanted to use the regular hooks the mold will accept again it will probably cause a lot of flashing.

CDawson,

Smalljaw is correct, that hook is way to thick to fit in that mold without any modification. As a matter of fact, there are only a couple of hooks in the 30 degree category that will fit in the Poison Tail mold. However if you feel adventurous, and have a steady hand, you can modify the mold to possibly fit what you want.

BTW welcome to TU

Edited by cadman

I'd be afraid that the mold would crack as hard as he's hitting it.  That isn't a Do-It mold in the video, not that it would matter.  I guess I'd rather take my chances with a dremel, drill bit or file instead of a hammer on a $40-$50 mold.  I'm not that adventurous.   And I've modified a lot of molds.  Took a drill bit to a Shawn Collins mold I bought, his mold seemed much harder than the aluminum in a Do-It mold.