fshng2

Underspins.. Anyone Use Em?

These just look goooo-d, and you would think should be in everyone's tackle box. Just like AAA Insurance.

You know... work Anywhere, Anytime and catch almost Anything.

I  used them last year for flounder when all else failed and did ok. Haven't had the occasion to use them since.

Underspins made the difference for at least two guys  at the Bass Master Classic.

2004 Classic 2nd place Aarons Marten.

2015 Classic 1st place Casey Ashley.

So why don't we hear much talk about underspins?

Yes, I have several.  I don't know why they are not more popular.  The pony head style underspin had bee good for ice fishing, bottom bouncing walleye, and even shaky head jigs styles.

I don't fish with them in every case, but when I find the right conditions, they come right out of my boxes and on to my line.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

Yes, I have several.  I don't know why they are not more popular.  The pony head style underspin had bee good for ice fishing, bottom bouncing walleye, and even shaky head jigs styles.

I don't fish with them in every case, but when I find the right conditions, they come right out of my boxes and on to my line.

Good to hear you had success. 

Do- it -Mold must think they are worth investing in too. They have the pony horse and sea horse head and lately introduced  the herring head underspin.  

That blade adds just enough flash and vibration to get the fishes attention.  

I have heard a willow blade works best, as long as it's  not to big.  Any thoughts?

Edited by fshng2

32 minutes ago, wishn4fishn said:

I always have one tied on. I flat tore them up from March thru October last year. Bass hammered it when they hit it.

That's  what I was hoping to hear.....yeah smoking em.

Which weight and blade configuration do you find works best?

I have a fishing buddy, older fellow, who's entire tackle box consists of only 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 oz Roadrunners

No matter what I throw, he out fishes me with his roadrunners every damn time!

I keep telling him I'm gonna get in his tackle box and snip off all his blades one day

• Like 2

I was catching a few fish with them when using them for suspended bass in the summer. I didn't really think about using them too much until Casey Ashly won the classic on one in cold water so I decided to see how early spring and late fall would produce. Well I'm sold on them now, reel just fast enough to have the blade tick the bottom, I've been doing well, especially after a front blows through and the fish move out and get tight to cover, for some reason they'll hit the under spin over a plain swimbait. I'm using the Ultra Minnow mold modified for a larger hook and the swivel. BTW, I saw some guys complaining about the Casey's classic made by Blakemore, they are saying that the blade hits the body when reeled, I'd like to go on record and say that is a built in fail safe!! I was using the Swarming Hornet before making them just to see if it would be something worth making myself, I found if you reel too fast with a wide body fluke style bait that the blade would hit the body, I figured it was a design flaw but it wasn't, after talking to a few anglers I know that use them, they told me the idea is to reel slow enough that the blade spins right below the body, if the blade rides high and touches the body you are going too fast. Well after I adjusted the retrieve I found I started catching fish, and I've been consistently been able to catch fish on it since I slowed down to allow the blade to a little lower, a good swivel helps you do this.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JRammit said:

I have a fishing buddy, older fellow, who's entire tackle box consists of only 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 oz Roadrunners

No matter what I throw, he out fishes me with his roadrunners every damn time!

I keep telling him I'm gonna get in his tackle box and snip off all his blades one day

That one broad-sided me!

My wife was wondering what I was laughing at.

• Like 1

Underspins are kind of like rooster tails -- both are grossly under appreciated. They're both highly versatile, working against a wide array of fish and in a broad range of conditions. And they're both easy to customize or make on your own! They definitely deserve more love. I can only assume neither gets much attention because they've been around forever. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 11:27 AM, wishn4fishn said:

Fshnh2 I mostly use the 1/4 oz. with a size 3 willow. I run a Do-It 3.75" essential series swimbait on it or a 3.8" keitech variation on there. I mostly fish it along weed lines and lay downs.

Thanks, I guess it's best to keep willow blade small like a size 3.

I use a modified Ultra Minnow for my underspins. I like using a size 3.5 willow for 1/4oz up to 1/2oz, the little larger blade creates a lot of flash at slow speeds. When I first made them I used the size 3 willow and on the ultra minnow head I had to reel a bit too fast for my liking, the 3.5 grads a little more water and has a little more flash and lets you go a little slower. On the other end the size 4 was too bit and caused tracking issues on anything under 1/2oz.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smalljaw said:

I use a modified Ultra Minnow for my underspins. I like using a size 3.5 willow for 1/4oz up to 1/2oz, the little larger blade creates a lot of flash at slow speeds. When I first made them I used the size 3 willow and on the ultra minnow head I had to reel a bit too fast for my liking, the 3.5 grads a little more water and has a little more flash and lets you go a little slower. On the other end the size 4 was too bit and caused tracking issues on anything under 1/2oz.

I would like to see a pic of your Ultra Minnow mod.

This is a pic of some I modified.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/16179-ultra-minnow-underspin-mod/

4 hours ago, Fatman said:

I use the Horse Heads and pony heads, and this is a head style I traded for from a friend who has a custom mold.

I use these small ones for panfish

Interesting ones Fatman.

That mold looks real nice, what are the weights?

has anybody poured these and attached a longer wire to attach the blade? I am trying to figure out how to recreate the picasso style underspin. I think i have settled on the poison tail mold. The problem I am trying to solve(I am very very new to pouring) is getting the wire in without having to modify the mold.  If i went with a 1mm titanium welding rod or smaller even .5mm Can I pour the head and then heat the wire and slip it in while the wire is red hot?  Again I am extremely new at this. 

I don't think it will work, Eskimo. See, most of your inserts/wireforms will have a kink or a bent end or something for the lead to flow around. This holds the wireform in place. It must be inserted into the mold before you pour the lead. You are talking about a relatively easy modification though.

• Like 1