Andyco

How much weight

Whenever I want to determine how much ballast to put into a copy of a commercial bait, I do it by subtraction.  Weigh the original without trebles.  Make your copy of the body and weigh it.  Subtract one from the other.  Then subtract an additional .02 oz to account for the finish you will put on the new bait.  Voila.  I regularly get within .01 + or - of the correct weight for a copy using this method.  You can't really know how much ballast to use just by guessing or using someone else's numbers because their balsa may be different in density, or they may use different finish procedures than you.

• Like 2

If I'm trying to copy another balsa bait, I add the lip, and seal it with superglue.  Then I add the hook hangers and hooks so I can float test it next to the original.  I add ballast to the tines of my copy's belly treble until I get it to float like the original.  Then I weigh how much weight I had to add, and use that to figure out how much my ballast should weigh.