clemmy

Skirts Unlimited?

Anyone heard anything about Skirts Unlimited? I stopped by to order some new colors and like 30-40% are out of stock. Makes it kind of pointless to order when they only have 2/3 of the new color you wanted to make. Makes me wonder if they are planning on closing?  Hope Not.

It always happens this time of year,  remember, we aren't the only ones who use the stuff.  Every year around the middle of February you'll see stock go down and by May it is when you start seeing supplies return. Large lure manufacturers buy factory direct so the most popular colors and new colors get hit hard first, give it a couple of weeks and it should get better.

Nothing new this time of year. I always buy a big supply in December, to hold me through until June. Seems like February through May, they are always out of the std colors and their biggest sellers. Like smalljaw mentioned they will build up their stock eventually.

1 hour ago, rustedhook said:

Every year they know this happens.  So why not double your inventory of the most popular colors. Not bashing,  Fishingskirts.com is great but guess I just don't understand business.

Couple of colors I use have been out stock for months.

Getting stuck with too much inventory is what kills retailers.

• Like 2

So true Mark.

Getting stuck with too much inventory is what kills retailers.

Uncle Sam will tax inventory whether it is used or not. 

Many companies will scrap or sell inventories at pennies on the dollar to reduce inventory.

Excellent company models mimic McDonalds.

They use their inventory and get paid for their finished goods

before they pay their supplier for the inventory.

Edited by fshng2

5 hours ago, kris brantner said:

Too much inventory might not be good, but you also cannot sell what you don't have.

Kris,

That is the age old question for retailers.  How much is too much?  Generally speaking, it's better to run out a little too soon than to be stuck with a ton of unsold inventory.  Being able to make that judgement call is why good buyers are so important for retailers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Walking Dead said:

Anyone think it might be related to annual inventory taxes? I know many retailers have to inventory in the early spring and pay a tax. The less you have on the shelf the less tax then order and turn and burn. Any if you business heads out there know?

1. Uncle Sam will tax inventory whether it is used or not. 

So the time to buy is after after you are taxed.

2. Producers limit supply of new products until they are either proven sellers or until they have confirmed orders from retailers .

Edited by fshng2
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2017 at 6:24 PM, Walking Dead said:

Anyone think it might be related to annual inventory taxes? I know many retailers have to inventory in the early spring and pay a tax. The less you have on the shelf the less tax then order and turn and burn. Any if you business heads out there know?

Inventory taxes aren't a contributing factor for us. Mark Poulson nailed it -- it's a never-ending game of trying to have just enough inventory to satisfy every order but not so much that you're left with a lot of stock when a product is no longer popular. Sometimes we nail it. Sometimes not. 

• Like 3

Certain products are just a given though and will sell every year. Weedguards, chatterbait blades, black and blue Skirt material, ect are all proven sellers and they run out of constantly. Their problem is their sources are overseas and it's just not that easy to get in product in a hurry. Erin has told me before that they have to guess months ahead of time what they will sell. Like I said, certain colors and products are constant sellers and they should have figured that out by now. How about we quit telling everyone to shop there on forums lol. Then maybe they wouldnt sell out of everything...

• Like 1

I was mostly being cheeky since we sell many of the same products as SU, but, not being a TU sponsor (yet), we're not supposed to overtly promote ourselves. 

We have a number of products we buy from SU, so, like many of you, we're hoping they get their inventory levels back up soon.

• Like 1

Matt,

I am sure "Good Fishing" is referring to Barlows Tackle.  So unless I'm wrong it seems ironic that "Good Fishing" and Barlows Tackle are from Richardson, TX which makes me believe that "Good Fishing" is one of the owners or an employee from Barlows Tackle.  I know Barlows is not going to match  pricing from Skirts Unlimited.

I'll stick with Skirts Unlimited and LPO.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 7:39 PM, cadman said:

Matt,

I am sure "Good Fishing" is referring to Barlows Tackle.  So unless I'm wrong it seems ironic that "Good Fishing" and Barlows Tackle are from Richardson, TX which makes me believe that "Good Fishing" is one of the owners or an employee from Barlows Tackle.  I know Barlows is not going to match  pricing from Skirts Unlimited.

I'll stick with Skirts Unlimited and LPO.

I've been pretty up front in other posts that my brothers and I run Barlow's. 

• Like 3

Almost July and still out of a lot of skirts.  

Also noticed that some of the colors I have ordered in the past are not listed anymore.

I need to order hooks, which I get from Barlow or LPO (though LPO often doesn't have what I need) but if I can't get the skirts needed then there is no reason to order other parts.  

Anybody have Living Image Ultimate PB&J ?