clemmy

Belt/Disc Sander Grit Number?

Hello,

I need to get some replacement sandpaper, and am just curious what other folks like for Grit for disc and belt sanders.

I usually use the belt for smoothing and evening out the balsa body after rough shaping cut/carve.

The disc I normally use for dressing polycarbonate/micarta lips up to the line.

haven't messed around with PVC yet, but plan to, so would love to hear those opinions as well!

thanks,

craig

Edited by clemmy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, clemmy said:

Hello,

I need to get some replacement sandpaper, and am just curious what other folks like for Grit for disc and belt sanders.

I usually use the belt for smoothing and evening out the balsa body after rough shaping cut/carve.

The disc I normally use for dressing polycarbonate/micarta lips up to the line.

haven't messed around with PVC yet, but plan to, so would love to hear those opinions as well!

thanks,

craig

Clemmy,

You must have a steady hand, and nerves of steel!  I hand sand all my balsa baits.  It's way too hard to put wood back, once it's gone.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Clemmy,

You must have a steady hand, and nerves of steel!  I hand sand all my balsa baits.  It's way too hard to put wood back, once it's gone.

Mark, I'm with you on this one.

Belt Sander and balsa......might as well get out the chainsaw and get it over with.

• Like 2

I use a variable speed Foredom rotary tool with a soft rubber sanding cylinder and 220 grit paper to erase carving edges.  But regardless I always resort to hand sanding with 220 or even 400 grit paper for final smoothing.  A Dremel fine grit sanding cylinder does just as well as the Foredom if you apply a light touch.  A rotary tool can get into areas that a disk or belt sander can't.  I use my disk sander for milling blanks down to width and cutting initial tapers.  I'm sure other tools will work as well.  These are just the ones I had on hand when I started making baits, and I've stuck with them.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, BobP said:

I use a variable speed Foredom rotary tool with a soft rubber sanding cylinder and 220 grit paper to erase carving edges.  But regardless I always resort to hand sanding with 220 or even 400 grit paper for final smoothing.  A Dremel fine grit sanding cylinder does just as well as the Foredom if you apply a light touch.  A rotary tool can get into areas that a disk or belt sander can't.  I use my disk sander for milling blanks down to width and cutting initial tapers.  I'm sure other tools will work as well.  These are just the ones I had on hand when I started making baits, and I've stuck with them.

You bring up a good point Bob. The longer you use specific tools the more accomplished you become with them. Being familiar with the tools you use is a very important part of any builders skills. 

Ben

• Like 4

I usually don't use power tools with balsa for sanding.  After a few passes with the knife just quickly round the edges with a sanding pad.   Have used other means just didn't find the to add much speed to the process or accuracy.

As suggested many ways to do things.  Yes some are superior to others others equal.  I like my dremel, especially the "pumpkin carver" dremel kit as no cord, batter operated.  

11 hours ago, woodieb8 said:

all I know,new belts love finger skin owwww,

Ain't that the truth.  Just  a few weeks aga week managed to flip the knuckles into a spinning wall of 80 grit.   Didn't think much of it till I got to work and having to stuff my hands into  nitrile gloves all day long.  

For me the issue is usually thin and smaller pieces.  Easy to catch and pull you hand into the belt as most of these pieces are being free handed so no anchor point before contacting piece to the moving paper.  Usually the shape of the piece forces it to be done in this manner.