Rusty6996

having trouble painting multi colors

Very new to the airbrushing scene, my set up iwata neo cn .35mm and a iwata trn2 .50mm using varies auto air colors paints. first stage auto borne white sealer, then I'm paint a aluminum course base, then iridescent yellow on the head and tail only, I tried spraying the intercoat  on whole lure to seal, then I moved to pigment purple on the back of lure only starting from the head to tail, and center of back is purple but head and tail turned brown, am I using wrong paints, not enough intercoat. should I be using transparents paints.

any suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks Rusty

Maybe that's what problem is, the yellow iridescent then interclear to try seal, then I used a pigment purple result poop brown on head and tail. I even tried iridescent purple was looking for a darker purple. So your saying transparent colors and candy colors will have save effect?  The only problem I have is not a fan of purple opaque colors 

Rusty, aren't candy colors translucent? If it is translucent, it will show the underlying color (in this case iridescent yellow) and the candy purple will show up as muddy brown on the head and tail (as it has been painted iridescent yellow underneath).

17 minutes ago, Rusty6996 said:

Thanks for all the help again this is all new to me, all the different paints I will give opaque colors try. Thanks for the info

Once you've put the purple opaque over the areas you want and gotten the base coloring, you can always go back and do a light coat of the irridescent, if that's the effect you want.

On 17/04/2017 at 2:55 PM, Rusty6996 said:

I would like to blend into iridescent yellow with purple want to stay away from having a hard line between the two colors 

Maybe try experimenting with translucent white under the areas you want purple with a fade in the white (heavier coat where you want strong purple) which may give you a fade between purple and yellow. I usually do this if I'm putting light scales over a dark background (i.e. trans. white then scale colour).

Good luck.

Cheers,

Ces.

You're getting brown where the two colors overlap because they are opposites on the color wheel.  Any primary color with it's opposite secondary color, in this case yellow and violet (purple) will make a brown.

https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to avoid/prevent it.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

As Mark has stated with a transparent and translucent paint going over another paint or the same type you will get a blend in the color spectrum of brown, I'm not certain either if you can do anything about it, I'm falling towards that you can't. Candys/translucent I use as a accent to the primary/underlying coat or base like tape, leafing, metal etc.

I fade the underlying color out to bring in this effect with a white or whatever color that I want to accent the translucent colors. This helps with a distinct line. Its all in the layers of colors in the order that you place them.

Just my :twocents:,

Dale