mark poulson

Primer for spinnerbaits

Try self etching primer. Spray it on a clean poured jig. Make sure you cover or tape all the parts you do not want primed. The stuff in the store is a gray color and comes in a spray can.  I tried to find it in white, but have not found any as of yet. I heard that some auto paint stores might have the etching primer in white. Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Get the mix additive also called "balancing clear".  You mix it with the paint to get better adhesion, then clear coat with a 2 part epoxy, I know you like the clear nail polish but water based paint, even with a primer, is going to need something a little stronger than the clear nail polish.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cadman said:

Try self etching primer. Spray it on a clean poured jig. Make sure you cover or tape all the parts you do not want primed. The stuff in the store is a gray color and comes in a spray can.  I tried to find it in white, but have not found any as of yet. I heard that some auto paint stores might have the etching primer in white. Let us know how it goes.

I found it at my local Home Depot.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Get the mix additive also called "balancing clear".  You mix it with the paint to get better adhesion, then clear coat with a 2 part epoxy, I know you like the clear nail polish but water based paint, even with a primer, is going to need something a little stronger than the clear nail polish.

I am bummed that my nail polish won't work!  

So, I made a late night run down to the garage and painted the other side last night.

This morning I brought one up to check it in the better light, and it looks good.  The details in the spinnerbait head didn't get filled in.

Even though I  covered them with a piece of paper, I had a little overspray on the wire, but my fingernail got it off.  It did stick pretty well.  I left the overspray on the hook shank.  Maybe it will make a good keeper!

I am going to hand paint these, and then use the clear nail polish, because I want a test of the system.  If it works okay, I'll be happy, since I enjoy the hand painting.  I am not talented enough with an air brush to do fine detail work.

43 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

So, I made a late night run down to the garage and painted the other side last night.

This morning I brought one up to check it in the better light, and it looks good.  The details in the spinnerbait head didn't get filled in.

Even though I  covered them with a piece of paper, I had a little overspray on the wire, but my fingernail got it off.  It did stick pretty well.  I left the overspray on the hook shank.  Maybe it will make a good keeper!

I am going to hand paint these, and then use the clear nail polish, because I want a test of the system.  If it works okay, I'll be happy, since I enjoy the hand painting.  I am not talented enough with an air brush to do fine detail work.

Mark, I've had very good luck with etching primer, since I used it on powder paint. Once the etching primer grabs hold of the lead it holds really well. This was my experience with  some trial and error I did.

** Spray on etching primer on a clean jig, very good adhesion  and excellent coverage.

** Spray on etching primer on a clean jig and then bake the jigs, excellent to phenomenal adhesion. I went to strip it off with paint stripper, and it took 3 or 4 tries with 15 minute soaks each to remove the primer.

I know you are not going to use powder paint, but once powder paint is applied over etching primer and baked, it really wears extremely well.

Let me  know how your  painting holds up over  the etching primer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cadman said:

Mark, I've had very good luck with etching primer, since I used it on powder paint. Once the etching primer grabs hold of the lead it holds really well. This was my experience with  some trial and error I did.

** Spray on etching primer on a clean jig, very good adhesion  and excellent coverage.

** Spray on etching primer on a clean jig and then bake the jigs, excellent to phenomenal adhesion. I went to strip it off with paint stripper, and it took 3 or 4 tries with 15 minute soaks each to remove the primer.

I know you are not going to use powder paint, but once powder paint is applied over etching primer and baked, it really wears extremely well.

Let me  know how your  painting holds up over  the etching primer

I'm going to throw one tomorrow.  I should know pretty quickly how it holds up.

Thanks for the tip!  I'm going to bake the spinnerbaits I haven't painted yet, so that should really make the paint schemes tough.

Edited by mark poulson