j.burch

Struggling

I cook my plastic with my salt and blast media already mixed in.   Also my softener and heat stabilizer.   After it's reached 350, I stir it a little, and then add my glitter.  That way, when I begin adding my color, I can tell what the finished color will look like, since both salt and glitter can affect color.

I try not to reheat past 330,  so I don't over cook the glitter.

If I want a darker watermelon, I begin adding black, drop by drop, and mixing it well after each drop, until I get what I'm after.

Adding some black flake along with my red flake at the beginning makes my water melon darker, too.

You'll have to experiment.  If a watermelon doesn't come out the way you want it, add some brown and make it a green pumpkin, so you can still use the plastic.

6 hours ago, j.burch said:

OK guys I'm struggling with my colors.  I use all M F colors.  As soon as I add the salt on a watermelon recipe, it changes on me.  I know I'm supposed to add more drops, but how many?  It's not transparent either.  What am I doing wrong? 

I don't use salt - but based on many peoples feedback of using it - salt will make the bait appear more opaque.... sort of the negative of using it for things that you'd like transparent.

One recommendation I'd make as a fellow hobbist.... try to be methodical in how you cook, add color, salt, etc.... I like to think I can remember every step and how much of this or that I added... I can't unless it's black! LOL!  Even if you follow someone recipe - you'll have to make it a few times to get it as you will like it....

Also if transparency is key to you in a weighted bait - you might want to investigate the blast media instead of salt for weight... but that has negatives as well - most notably wearing out O-Rings, etc.  but some of the samples I've seen with blast media are fantastic.

J.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  It's my OCD thats making me to wanting it to be exact.  Glad I am not trying to sell this stuff for a living!  I would go broke trying to make it perfect!  I did match the Watermelon sm gold lg black but it's not as transparent as all the other baits on the market....however, it did catch fish all day long on Saturday!! 

• Like 1

If I counted drops I'd never get anywhere!   I squirt the stuff in and go off looks.  I can nail it most every time from the last time I poured a color.    MF colorant seems weak to me so I add black on top to darken a lot.  I also glitter, color and salt after plastic is ready to go.

Mark is right about being methodical, but the back half of "The Pink Book" is all hand written notes of how I made successful plastics.  I can't remember every step.  Making baits is a very small amount of the time I spend in my shop.  I make a big batch of something I like and I forget about it for months. 

P.S.  The Pink Book is a shop notes binder I keep useful things in like tap drill charts, drill size charts, hardness tables, gage tables, etc... things I use everyday, and don't want to crack open the Machinery's Handbook for. 

• Like 1