Hinkle2.0

Dick Nite Peeling Issue

Does anyone else have issues with Dick Nite peeling after just minor use of hard baits? I have had several cranks and even topwater baits that the DN peels off in large pieces after just a few hours of use. I am spraying them with water based createx, letting set overnight, then dipping them and hang drying. 

Any tips or ideas why this is happening? Thanks!

Assuming we're talking about the Dick Nite S81 moisture cured urethane "Fishermun's Lurecoat" (he also sells other topcoats that are less durable in my experience)?  I've never had anything like this happen on a plastic lure painted with water based airbrush paint and then coated with S81 MCU.  Not trying to get picky but this seems very unusual if these are the coatings you used.

I hope that fixes it for you.  I think DN S81 is the most durable topcoat I've ever used on a plastic bait.  When I removed the lure finish on a bait later, it looked like the DN had soaked through the paint and made a very strong bond with the underlying plastic body.  Can't get much better than that.  Good luck with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobP said:

I hope that fixes it for you.  I think DN S81 is the most durable topcoat I've ever used on a plastic bait.  When I removed the lure finish on a bait later, it looked like the DN had soaked through the paint and made a very strong bond with the underlying plastic body.  Can't get much better than that.  Good luck with it.

Bob is three weeks considered full cure and fishable for DN S81?

I don't know how long the moisture cure takes to finish.  First the solvent flashes off and it's the strength of regular urethane in a few hours.  Over the next 2-3 days it gets tough as it moisture cures.  Maybe ambient temp and humidity affect the cure rate, maybe not.  I've fished lures after 3-4 days and they held up really well.  My gut feeling is 3 weeks is at least twice as long as a 100% cure takes.  You might drop a note to Dick Nite and ask him since he has the MCU custom formulated for use in his spoon business.

• Like 1