BassHack

First order for Pouring plastics.

HI guys,

I wasn't a fisherman till my son dragged me into it. Now we are both hooked, so to speak.  Anyhow, I decided to start pouring worms to begin with and one creature bait. I have been lurking and reading for a while .

Below is what we have ordered so far;

IRWIN QUICK-GRIP Clamp Set, 8 Piece, 4935502

Danby 0.7 cu.ft. Countertop Microwave, White

Do-it Soft Plastic Molds Gary Yamamoto Senko 4" 1 $26.95 $26.95
Do-it Soft Plastic Molds Gary Yamamoto Senko 5" 1 $26.95 $26.95
Do-it Soft Plastic Molds Gary Yamamoto Senko 6" 3 $26.95  
Do-it Essential Series Colorants Green Pumpkin Brown 1 $4.99 $4.99
Do-it Essential Series Colorants Junebug 1 $4.99 $4.99
Do-it Essential Series Colorants Watermelon Green 1 $4.99 $4.99
Do-it Essnetial Series Glitter Black .015" 1 $3.49 $3.49
Do-it Essnetial Series Glitter Canadian Blue .015" 1 $3.49 $3.49
Do-it Essnetial Series Glitter Fire Red .015" 1 $3.49 $3.49
Do-it Essnetial Series Glitter Gold .015" 1 $3.49 $3.49
Do-it Essnetial Series Glitter Holo Silver .015" 1 $3.49 $3.49
TNT Wadda Bomb Jig Black/Blue 1/2 1 $3.59 $3.59
/TNT Wadda Jig Brown/Orange 3/8 1 $2.99 $2.99
/TNT Wadda Jig Green Pumpkin 3/8 1 $2.99 $2.99

2 canvas aprons.

2 3M Professional Multi-purpose Respirator,Medium

2 of DEWALT DPG82-11 Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle

ITEM#                DESCRIPTION                            QTY    TOTAL     
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1X1011X101E          Plastic Additive - SOFTENER            1      $13.20    

1X5521X552K          Plastic Formula #552                   1      $206.00   

2X124                Thermometer                            1      $6.20     

2X123                Pouring Cups                           2      $11.98    

2X211                Hot Mill Gloves                        3      $17.97    

-Rings Silicone O-Rings 1 $1.75 $1.75
INJECTOR HAND INJECTOR
[Hand injector size:10 oz. Hand injector.]
1 $89.00 $89.00
TWINJECTOR TWINJECTOR™ Dual Color Hand Injection Kit
[Hand injector size:6 oz. Hand injector]
1 $199.00 $199.00
514-1-1 5.5" BT BOMB
[Number of Cavities:2 cavity]

$95.00

$95.00

Edited by BassHack
had to edit

ANyhow, I just realized i need salt and I'll have to order it.  I was planning on just using mortons, but I see lurecraft ahs fine salt and flour salt. Can someone explain the difference between table salt, fine salt, and flour salt and how it will affect our worms?

Besides what I have ordered , are there any other essentials I need to order that I missed?

BTW we are trying to make our own senkos to start, so I know I need to add salt.

Is a microwave enough to get started? Or is it better to get some sort of hot pot?

What do y'all stir your concoctions with? Spoons or tongue depressors  or something else?

Edited by BassHack

Oh, and thank you to all who have contributed to these forums, they have already been a great help.  If I only used the youtube videos for instruction, I probably would have missed much of the safety issues regarding this hobby along with all the other great advice generously rendered here.

10oz injector?  That thing must be huge.

I suggest you try the different salts and see what your preference is, any of them will work.

Microwave will be more than fine.  You only need a pot if you plan on doing larger production runs.

I stir with a cheap butter knife, its flat on both sides which makes it easier to wipe off excess plastic.

Make sure you have at least two Pyrex or Ancor measuring cups to heat up the plastic in.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, C0MRAD said:

10oz injector?  That thing must be huge.

LOL. I wouldnt know what is huge or not.. But i figured I could just fill it halfway if i didnt need it all. Should I get something else?

How many molds can one fill with one injector full of product? I know it depends on the mold size, but I'm asking in terms of time. Will the material hold temperature and viscosity long enough to pour 3 or 4 molds before it hardens?

I have a 10 oz injector.

I can fill three 7" senko cavities, holding pressure for a ten count on each one.

I can fill six 6" senko cavities, holding pressure for a five count on each.  The last cavity sometimes doesn't fill right.

I've found the limiting factor, for me, is that I can only inject at about 325 degrees, or I get lots of dents and shrinkage.

I'm just a hobby pourer.  Some guys here inject at lower temps all the time, but they know what they're doing.  

• Like 1

I think u can put table salt in a blender and make it finer, also some use popcorn salt which is finer, I know a lot of people use the Irwin clamps but i have bought the large to small and i have had no luck with them, They will shoot great one time and the next shot will blow out and it's not because i did not have them tight!!!! The two best things i have bought are the welding clamp that are like vise grip with pads on them. The best thing is a wood worker vise that bolts to your bench. These are the metal type Lowes and Harbor Freight have them for around 20.00. Next would be a a pancake grill to set your cups on to keep them warm also to warm your injector. I put my injector on mine while i put the plastic in the microwave and it's warm when i get ready to shoot.  and don't set up as bad in the injector. These are also around 20.00 if u find them on sale. It never ends LOL Cub48 

Edited by Cub48
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I have a 10 oz injector.

I can fill three 7" senko cavities, holding pressure for a ten count on each one.

I can fill six 6" senko cavities, holding pressure for a five count on each.  The last cavity sometimes doesn't fill right.

I've found the limiting factor, for me, is that I can only inject at about 325 degrees, or I get lots of dents and shrinkage.

I'm just a hobby pourer.  Some guys here inject at lower temps all the time, but they know what they're doing.  

Thanks mark, I don't think I'll be that aggressive to start. Maybe I'll be able to work my way up to that many molds in one heating. Do the bottles of plastic have heating directions on them, or do all brands need to be heated to 350, then allowed to cool to 325 to pour? 

BTW I see your friends on FB with Cooch. We like to fish with him as often as we can and fish the delta every weekend out of Brannon island

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsworms said:

I would add black or white (or pearl) colors.  Those were a MUST for me, but that looks like a hefty enough of a first order. LOL..  Maybe in time. 

Yes I forgot black! And peal too but only when we start pouring swimbaits. I have been looking for a mold to replicate a storm wild eye shad with an integrated hook, but have had no luck. That would be great for us in pearl and chartreuse.

38 minutes ago, Cub48 said:

I think u can put table salt in a blender and make it finer, also some use popcorn salt which is finer, I know a lot of people use the Irwin clamps but i have bought the large to small and i have had no luck with them, They will shoot great one time and the next shot will blow out and it's not because i did not have them tight!!!! The two best things i have bought are the welding clamp that are like vise grip with pads on them. The best thing is a wood worker vise that bolts to your bench. These are the metal type Lowes and Harbor Freight have them for around 20.00. Next would be a a pancake grill to set your cups on to keep them warm also to warm your injector. I put my injector on mine while i put the plastic in the microwave and it's warm when i get ready to shoot.  and don't set up as bad in the injector. These are also around 20.00 if u find them on sale. It never ends LOL Cub48 

If the irwins don't work, I kave some bar clamps with screws I'll try . Failing that I'll buy some welding clamps as you suggest. I do have a couple vise in my shop, but I don't want to relocate them to our 'ventilated ' area..  

2 minutes ago, BassHack said:

Thanks mark, I don't think I'll be that aggressive to start. Maybe I'll be able to work my way up to that many molds in one heating. Do the bottles of plastic have heating directions on them, or do all brands need to be heated to 350, then allowed to cool to 325 to pour? 

BTW I see your friends on FB with Cooch. We like to fish with him as often as we can and fish the delta every weekend out of Brannon island

To be clear, I do a 3 cavity 7" senko mold from one load in a 10 oz injector, and do the 6" senkos from a second load.  I don't try and do multiple molds.  I have enough trouble doing them one at a time!

As far as I know, 350 is the temperature at which most plastisol sold to bait makers converts to it's usable form.  I know there are some other plastics with different characteristics, but I've never used them.

It is a small world around the Delta, isn't it?  

Cooch is a gem.  No one knows the Delta as well as he does, and he finds a way to catch fish.  He is always sharing what he knows, and why he does what he does.

Plus, he makes some terrific jigs!

• Like 1

The wood worker vise i am talking about has 2 round bars that the molds will set on. they are just the right size for the baby shad molds i have i can put four molds in it and shoot all . The only problem i have is if u have different height molds. u would have to get some spur extenders. or like i did buy another vise. LOL also u dont't have the long bar sticking out which at my bench was a problem I have too much junk on mine. Yours may work great hope they do. The welding pliers i have are the cheap ones that HF has u can set them at the right clamping as long as you are not changing molds u can just clamp and go no adjusting. Cub48

• Like 2

Hey Cub, I asked my mother in law if I could borrow her pancake griddle, and she was ok with it till my wife told her what I was going o use it for. So I ended up getting one for 15 bucks on amazon.   When you are working, do  you leave it set at 325?  I'm assuming you set your Pyrex on it as well as your injectors?

This is the medium I got:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LBS-Glass-Bead-Medium-Grit-MIL-SPEC-8-70-100-grit-Sand-Blasting-Abrasive-/111672165459?hash=item1a002e0453:g:VocAAOxydgZTKU6c

Bear in mind I only shoot plastic a few times a month, so this is just from a hobby pourer.

I spray my injector's tube after each load with spray PAM, and my O rings are still good.  

I do hear the grit as the injector is pushed.  It may be scoring the insides of the tube, but I haven't had any problems yet, and I've been using it for two years now.

When I first decided to try it, I contacted the company I bought it from, Bass Tackle, and asked if it would hurt the O rings.

The woman I spoke to said it shouldn't, but she sent me some replacement O rings, just in case I did develop problems.

I've never had to use them.

• Like 1

Salt is not a huge deal.  Go over to any store that stocks bulk items and buy a 25lb bag of fine restaurant salt to start with.  I've been working out of the same bag for a few years now.  I seal it in a gasketed pickle bucket to keep it from absorbing to much moisture from the air.  I think last time I bought a bag it was $6 ot $8 bucks.  I get much better colors then ultra fine or powdered salt, and I stick a lot of fish on my baits. 

• Like 2