The_Drowned_God

Thermometers..

10 posts in this topic

I use an instant read digital probe type thermometer . Imho the are more accurate than the  infrared type. Bait junkies sells them

• Like 1

I use an infrared digital thermometer I bought years ago from Harbor Freight.  Mine is accurate enough that I don't scorch my plastic.

Plastisol in a microwave heats from the center out, so taking the temp from the surface isn't accurate.  You need to stir it, so you can get the internal temp, or you risk overheating and scorching it.

• Like 2

Either one can be used but the plastic needs to be stirred with either one to get and accurate reading. I have used an infrared for many years and have had no issue.  You will get to know what the temps are just by viscosity in time. If you are new to this it is a must or you will have problems you can't fix. 

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents but I use the digital probe type because you need to stir the plastic anyway and you can use the probe type to stir at the same time as your taking temp.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, walleyeking said:

Just my 2 cents but I use the digital probe type because you need to stir the plastic anyway and you can use the probe type to stir at the same time as your taking temp.

This is a good idea! Might get both and see what i like!

11 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I use an infrared digital thermometer I bought years ago from Harbor Freight.  Mine is accurate enough that I don't scorch my plastic.

Plastisol in a microwave heats from the center out, so taking the temp from the surface isn't accurate.  You need to stir it, so you can get the internal temp, or you risk overheating and scorching it.

This is my method.

My infra red does not read correct after about 250f so i bought the digital probe and like everyone i stir my plastisol with it. Cub48