Lucky777

Best plastisol for saltwater

I fish strictly salt and am wondering what the best plastisol is for making soft plastics for saltwater is. I've looked at the Lurecraft both the "green" formula and regular formula. I'm not too sure which one is best for my application. Also I've heard great things about Calhoun plastisol but is that mainly used for freshwater fishing? Any advice is appreciated in advance.

BG 

MF has a new product out that is very good in the saltwater as well.  Its called easy stretch, will get bubbles on occasion but is very good.  Bubbles will popout quick.  They also make one that is a little softer but awesome.  A floating plastic called bounce. It is a lively plastic that creates great action and motion. 

3 hours ago, Lucky777 said:

Ok cool. Thanks. So is Calhoun or the other brand I mentioned not good for saltwater or can you basically use any brand and just put hardener in it?

Yes, pretty much.  Most of, if not all of, the specialty plastisols are standard plastisol with hardeners, softeners, or density control agents added.

Each start with the same basic material and adjust as per their specs.

I tried I think two saltwater plastics when I first started pouring.  Didn't like the action of either of them.  I got 5 gallons of MF 464  A mix of their reg. and their saltwater.  So basically it's a medium. You want a tough bait but it has to have great action.  There's not a soft plastic bait out there, a blue  can't  bite the tail off .  So go for the action and make more baits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slammingjack said:

I tried I think two saltwater plastics when I first started pouring.  Didn't like the action of either of them.  I got 5 gallons of MF 464  A mix of their reg. and their saltwater.  So basically it's a medium. You want a tough bait but it has to have great action.  There's not a soft plastic bait out there, a blue  can't  bite the tail off .  So go for the action and make more baits.

Nailed it.   I poured swimbaits for a guy who would sell to saltwater charter boats, and they always preferred action over durability.  "The softer, the better," they would always say.  As hard as it may be to believe, I made all their baits using MF super soft.  

• Like 1

The easy stretch (sinking) and bounce (floating) plastisols are tougher than soft more like a medium firm and medium respectively.  They have great action and hold up well.  Never tried 464 but have heard good things.  Gonna be hard to beat the bounce plastic.

22 hours ago, alsworms said:

Nailed it.   I poured swimbaits for a guy who would sell to saltwater charter boats, and they always preferred action over durability.  "The softer, the better," they would always say.  As hard as it may be to believe, I made all their baits using MF super soft.  

Wow the super soft, wouldn't have thought of that. Thank you for the 411.

14 hours ago, Slammingjack said:

Wow the super soft, wouldn't have thought of that. Thank you for the 411.

This was a good 10 years ago, and I'm still blown away by it.  They kept saying, softer, softer, softer.......until the super soft did the trick.   I guess they didn't mind paying a buck for a 4 inch swimbait when it netted them a nice fish.  lol

• Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 2:03 PM, alsworms said:

This was a good 10 years ago, and I'm still blown away by it.  They kept saying, softer, softer, softer.......until the super soft did the trick.   I guess they didn't mind paying a buck for a 4 inch swimbait when it netted them a nice fish.  lol

I've poured with MF Saltwater without adding hardener and I was surprised at how soft it was.  It's like Jell-O unless you keep reheating it, then it gets harder.

• Like 1