Patton70

Replacement feathered treble hooks for Rapala XR04

On 4/22/2017 at 8:20 PM, BobP said:

You can make your own with feathers from a hobby store, any kind of thread, and a little finger nail polish.  I use locking forceps held in my bench vise to hold the treble.

Hey BobP - I am just going down the path of trying to make size 6 feather treble hooks. Like these - https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Black_Feathered_Treble_Hook_2pk/descpage-GFT.html

What type of feathers are you using? I keep hearing use chicken feathers. I am burning through hooks and it aint even full on top water season yet.

I just use generic chicken feathers from a hobby shop like Michaels.  You can also use hackle feathers from the same source, plus strands of sparkle filament.  If not from a hobby shop, try Mudhole tackle online or lurepartsonline.com.

Edited by BobP

These look like saddle hackle feathers wrapped then tied back a little. Stay away from the webby feathers. They stick together because they are designed like zippers. When a bird preens its feathers, they are zipping them back together. . Look for a thin stem or they will be too bulky and fragile. Or you could buy some strung saddle hackle.  Some flat tying thread will make your head nicer. Acetate floss can be used to finish the head. Wrap it and apply a drop of acetone - it turns into solid plastic. 

• Thanks 1

Here’s a tutorial by one of our members Triton Mike.  Think the original appeared on  the BFHP.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/jrrods/articles.html

Another option is that Gammy  makes a size 12 (and so 14!) dressed treble, but not for US market, so you would have to order it on one of the JDM sites or else EBay..

Craig

Edited by clemmy

Easy to make a few.  Anyone with some fly tying experience can crank them out.  I tend to like synthetic fiber better than feathers and the fiber version will greatly out last the feathered hooks.  Let me know if you do not have a local fly tier that can make them for you.

IMG_3259.jpg

• Like 1

Feathers are incredibly durable, if tied correctly. I have flies that I have tied from feathers that have lasted 100's of fish and many, many years. A feather may look delicate, but it is very tough. You just need to find the ones with the right qualities.  A flexible stem, high barb count, and proper stiffness are very desirable qualities . But the fibers themselves are all made of the same stuff. 

Synthetic fibers are also very useful.  It can be hard to find ones that flow the same way feathers do. But synthetics have their own qualities. They are stiffer, retain their shape, and do not flair. Choose what is right for the job. 

• Like 1