BassHack

Bleed vs. Non-bleed

Dyes bleed. Whatever you use a dye in will bleed over to other colours or baits. 

Pigments don't bleed into other colours or baits. Any colourant that is labeled as non-bleed is a pigment. 

You cannot get the transparency or vibrance that some dyes have with a pigment. 

Mark is right.  Pigments are made up of particles much larger than dyes.  Being larger, pigment particles get trapped in the plastic matrix while dyes can move within the plasticizer (liquid) and bleed to other parts of the bait.  The smaller the particle size, the more transparent a bait will be, so dyes allow for the best transparency if that is what you're looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wchilton said:

Mark is right.  Pigments are made up of particles much larger than dyes.  Being larger, pigment particles get trapped in the plastic matrix while dyes can move within the plasticizer (liquid) and bleed to other parts of the bait.  The smaller the particle size, the more transparent a bait will be, so dyes allow for the best transparency if that is what you're looking for.

wchilton,

Thanks for the confirmation.  Do chartreuse and red pigments smaller by nature?  I noticed they seem to both bleed, whether it's paint or a sharpie.

OK so if I use a dual injector to shoot a creature bait or a send style worm, say, one side blue and the other side watermelon, will the colors need so much that the bait will be one color? Or will the bleeding be minimal and will appear as a transition? Or is there a technique I need to employ?

Most watermelon and blue are not dyes and are non bled. If u want a transparent bait a drop or two will do that as to adding 10 or 15 drops. When i do my blue ice i put 5 drops in 2 cups of plastisol. The glitter will show up in this blue. I also do watermelon red go light on the green and add the red glitter. U can always add more color but if u get it too dark it is hard to fix. Cub48

22 hours ago, mark poulson said:

wchilton,

Thanks for the confirmation.  Do chartreuse and red pigments smaller by nature?  I noticed they seem to both bleed, whether it's paint or a sharpie.

Not sure.  There are a lot of different dyes and they have different properties.  If you have a pigment that can dissolve in the oil (rather than be held in suspension) then it will act like a dye as far a bleeding.  Dye particles can be really small, down to individual molecules...that's why they can move within a plastic bait.  MF advertises a non-bleed chartreuse (I've never tried it). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wchilton said:

Not sure.  There are a lot of different dyes and they have different properties.  If you have a pigment that can dissolve in the oil (rather than be held in suspension) then it will act like a dye as far a bleeding.  Dye particles can be really small, down to individual molecules...that's why they can move within a plastic bait.  MF advertises a non-bleed chartreuse (I've never tried it). 

Thanks.