Willie Rip

Tried to go fishing, ran truck into ditch

You didn't grow up in the back of beyond.  All the guys I knew growing up carried farm jacks, shovels, and boards in their trucks.  Unless the truck was wrecked any one of us would have been out in an hour or less.  Admittedly I once backed out of sugar sand for a quarter mile 4 feet at a time (2wd), because that was the length of my boards.  That one I admit took me more than an hour.  LOL.  

By the way.  Ouch!  I feel for you.  Sucks to put your baby in a hole don't it.  

LOL.  Actually, I never watched the video.  I got what I needed from your post and the thumbnail shown in the video still.  Sorry I wasn't making fun of you.  Well not to much, and really just in fun.  Its just that with the guys I grew up with most would have said, "Ah, you ain't stuck bad.  Need to borrow my jack?"

~~~~~ I think a truck is a tool too.  I just think its can be used for more and more effectively than it often is.  ~~~~~

To be totally fair learning to drive in the desert was a whole different education.  I learned things like:  

Feathering the throttle to keep traction as you slow down might just get you through a soft patch of sand.  Staying in the throttle when it starts to spin will bury it.   (Mud can be different depending on the kind and depth of mud. )  

If you are flying low in mud, and can't steer try to gently nudge it towards a bush.  Turn the wheels when you hit the bush and start looking for the next one. 

A farm jack and a shovel will get you out of most things except dinner with your mom's annoying best friend. 

Drop the tires down to about 10-12 PSI will give you a larger contact patch with the sand.

A really dry looking patch of sand out in the river might might be just a crust over quick sand. 

A 4wd is not a cure all.  You still need to learn how to drive.  (I literally drove my station wagon around a 4wd pickup stuck in the road once.)

Don't be hard on the brakes when you decide you aren't going to make it without getting out of the truck/car/stationwagon/etc.  Or if you are just stopping.  It throws up hills in front of the tires that you are just going to have to remove when you get out your shovel anyway.  Its better to roll to a stop if possible. 

If your choice is to stop and get stuck or go over a ledge where you can't see the bottom.  STOP.  Its easier to get out of being stuck than being wrecked. 

A 2wd drive pickup goes up a steep hill easier in reverse.  Sometimes its the only way. 

A pickup just about always handles better with a load in the back.  2wd or 4wd. 

A station wagon doesn't need a load in the back.  It just needs more ground clearance... and low tires. 

Lower both the front and rear tires.  Even with a 2wd.  The fronts will plow if they can't float the front end up.

Once you are back on the road drive slow and take easy wide turns on those low tires or you will tear them up.  Fill them back to highway pressure as soon as possible. 

Always carry a real jack (not that toy your car came with), shovel, and boards (or runway track). 

If you go alone you better be prepared to get out alone too. 

Always, always, always carry water. You just might have to walk out.  Without water you are a dead man if you do. 

~~~~ There's a lot more, but that's a start.  The first year I ran traps lines I had a Plymouth Volare station wagon as my trap line vehicle.  I spun up the torsion bars in the front and put long shackles on the back to get more ground clearance.  The second year I had a 2wd pickup truck, and I kept it loaded in the back with all my gear.  I got stuck a lot.  I got out on my own too.  Cell phones existed but only worked in a few areas, and they were those huge expensive monstrosity that was physically mounted in your vehicle and hard wired in.  I didn't have one.  In fact I only knew two people who did.  CB was ok, but most of the places I went I'd only reach somebody if conditions were right to shoot skip. 

Sadly I learned most of those lesson the hard way.  LOL.

I'm sure you will never need any of this... again, but if you ever do remember I wasn't really just giving you crap when I wrote it. 

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

I added a little more to the post above.  Just kept thinking of stuff. 

If you haven't done it already and unless you just gently rolled into that hole I'd suggest having the front end check out.  An out alignment front end can cost you accelerated tire wear and eventually more money than the cost of a shop visit.