Kswear6

Image transfer to crankbait

I use clear decal paper from Ebay. My color printer is Ink Jet so you need to get correct paper for that. 

Here is what I used http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-sheets-CLEAR-INKJET-waterslide-decal-paper-for-model-cars-or-nail-decals-/391021698324?hash=item5b0ab59d14:m:mNC-FVwfbdSgknSw-H9RDeg

I take the  image or logo and open it in Microsoft Word or https://www.google.com/docs/about/ (FREE) if you dont have that.

Turn the margins down so it prints top left and you dont waste paper. Click File> page setup> make margins zero

Resize your image to what you want. Always drag from bottom right to retain aspect ratio

You can also add text.

You may want to test print in black and white and regular paper till you know its what you want. When ready print on the decal paper. Cut out the decal leaving about 1/16 around edges. Now since injet printers are not waterproof, we need to spray a light coat of varnish over it. When dry it is ready to apply. Soak in water a minute and slide it on the bait. Careful when moving it not to tear it. Get bubbles out and blot off excess water. Clear with your usual method when dry.

tut2.jpg

tut3.jpg

tut1.jpg

DSCN0152.JPG

Edited by MonteSS

Actually I go to Hobby Lobby to their model section and get the stuff for making decals.  It comes as a kit, I believe by Mattel.   As mentioned above by MonteSS it comes in different types for different printer inks.  As a kit it comes with the varnish to protect it from the water as well as instructions.

I use Microsoft paint as my edit program and take whatever picture I want and resize it as necessary.  I print on plain paper to test it and then print on the transfer paper. 

It is designed to slide onto any slick surface so plastic, lead, coated wood, etc., are all fine.  I usually put a few drops of DAWN dish detergent in the water to make it slicker and to make it easier to rub out the bubbles.

Once it is placed I let it set to dry.

Once it is dry, I air brush as I desire to work the back and belly in better, and then I usually clear coat with my favorite clear coat.

As an alternate, you don't actually need to use decal transfer paper.  You can use thin white tissue paper.  You can do all of the above except that you can apply thin glue to the lure and apply the tissue paper with printed pattern on it to the lure.  The tissue paper disappears and leaves the printer pattern.  Again, clear coat as normal.

Lots and lots of ways, and there are instructions in the history of this site on all of them.

4 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

I would love to see if sublimation was a viable option, I plan to try it on lead, but I don't know if there is a product that can be used on timber or plastic lures to take the transfer..

Whatever you sublimate on needs to take the heat.

To get access to a hot farm pond, I made a lure featuring the pond owners favorite pro football team. Used those vinyl stickers sold at Office Depot. Used my home printer to print the image on the vinyl application and cut it to size. Looked great and the bass action at the pond is righteous. ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ROD W said:

To get access to a hot farm pond, I made a lure featuring the pond owners favorite pro football team. Used those vinyl stickers sold at Office Depot. Used my home printer to print the image on the vinyl application and cut it to size. Looked great and the bass action at the pond is righteous. ;)

That's a good one...  Smart man!

Archer... ive watched his video before and I have all the stuff he talks about in the video .. I want to stick it directly to my painted bait rather than foil.. my problem is when I have my white painted 1.5 and stick the adhesive on it... my paint started to come off .. I was wondering if I paint my 1.5 white and then put a coat of clear on it. let it dry ...  then stick the photo with adhesive on it if that would work?