ayetti

Avid bass tackle

New to lure painting, and the forum, but ive been lurking for awhile.  Getting ready to pull the trigger and order an airbrush and some paints.  Ive been looking around for where to order blanks from.  I definitely am gonna try some of the bulk cheaper baits i see on ebay just to practice painting.  Ultimately though i would like to find the best blanks i can to get the most consistent fishable action.  I noticed a website with ABS plastic blanks called avid bass tackle.  I was wondering if anyone here had worked with there products in the past? Im also looking for anyone's input on where I can get true running clones of major crankbaits. 

One other off topic question.  Can anyone recommend a starter set of paint to get? It seems like many people here use createx or wicked colors.  Is there a starter set of their paints i could buy? or a recomended list of colors?  Im out in california so lots of shad patterns, bluegill, trout, crawfish.

Thanks in advance, love the forum. 

Hi there, and welcome...

For a starter set of airbrush paints, I would recommend ComArt (Iwata) (Medea) transparent set...I believe there are 8 or 12 colors in the set, but there are several different sets available.  I use different paints brands ComArt, Createx, Sceptre, etc, but the ComArts in my opinion are great to start with as they are truly ready to use out of the bottle.  Normally around here (N. California) about $25 for the set.   You do have to look around a bit for them as Hobby Lobby, Dick Blick etc do not always have them in stock.   Another good choice is Testors Aztec, (Michaels) but not in a set...again, ready to use out of the bottle.   Most of the Createx that I have used needs to be reduced to get a good flow, great paint, but not so much ready to use.   What I have found, is that there is not really a need to get a bunch of different colors to start.   Depending on the patterns you will be doing, you can get by with some basics if you use transparent colors since you can blend and shade without special mixing of recipes for colors prior to spraying.    

Op. White, Op. Black, Trans. Blue, Trans. Red, Trans. Yellow, Flo. Chartreuse, Flo. Red or Orange, Trans. Green, Pearl Gold, Pearl Silver, Trans. Brown, Pearl White will give you a wide range of possibilities.  While there a hundreds of shades of blues, browns, yellows and reds, purples, etc.  with practice and a light touch, you can blend most colors with the transparent paints, just takes practice.   Do be aware that an Opaque White will nearly always require reducing, and has a tendency to clog your airbrush if not reduced.  Use several coats on the base coat rather than trying to cover in 1 or 2.   

As for Avid, I have placed several orders with Forrest, at this time he seems to be fairly overwhelmed and you do have to stay on top fo the orders.  However, he is great to deal with and always more than fair if there is an issue.  The quality of his baits is very good.   Just like most others will say on TU, you get what you pay for.  Cheap blank vendors = crappy quality.    When I first started, I went cheap with a particular vendor I ordered about 100 baits to practice on,  I was able to use less than 10%.   On 4 of the different models 0 were usable.   I complained about it to the vendor, basically fell on deaf ears....last order to that one.  Look at the Blank Vendors pin on the beginning of the forum.... there are a bunch, but I use about 4 or 5 of them.   All US based with the exception of one. 

Enjoy you new hobby and take a second mortgage on you home...your going to need it now. :)  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, old1ncal said:

Hi there, and welcome...

For a starter set of airbrush paints, I would recommend ComArt (Iwata) (Medea) transparent set...I believe there are 8 or 12 colors in the set, but there are several different sets available.  I use different paints brands ComArt, Createx, Sceptre, etc, but the ComArts in my opinion are great to start with as they are truly ready to use out of the bottle.  Normally around here (N. California) about $25 for the set.   You do have to look around a bit for them as Hobby Lobby, Dick Blick etc do not always have them in stock.   Another good choice is Testors Aztec, (Michaels) but not in a set...again, ready to use out of the bottle.   Most of the Createx that I have used needs to be reduced to get a good flow, great paint, but not so much ready to use.   What I have found, is that there is not really a need to get a bunch of different colors to start.   Depending on the patterns you will be doing, you can get by with some basics if you use transparent colors since you can blend and shade without special mixing of recipes for colors prior to spraying.    

Op. White, Op. Black, Trans. Blue, Trans. Red, Trans. Yellow, Flo. Chartreuse, Flo. Red or Orange, Trans. Green, Pearl Gold, Pearl Silver, Trans. Brown, Pearl White will give you a wide range of possibilities.  While there a hundreds of shades of blues, browns, yellows and reds, purples, etc.  with practice and a light touch, you can blend most colors with the transparent paints, just takes practice.   Do be aware that an Opaque White will nearly always require reducing, and has a tendency to clog your airbrush if not reduced.  Use several coats on the base coat rather than trying to cover in 1 or 2.   

As for Avid, I have placed several orders with Forrest, at this time he seems to be fairly overwhelmed and you do have to stay on top fo the orders.  However, he is great to deal with and always more than fair if there is an issue.  The quality of his baits is very good.   Just like most others will say on TU, you get what you pay for.  Cheap blank vendors = crappy quality.    When I first started, I went cheap with a particular vendor I ordered about 100 baits to practice on,  I was able to use less than 10%.   On 4 of the different models 0 were usable.   I complained about it to the vendor, basically fell on deaf ears....last order to that one.  Look at the Blank Vendors pin on the beginning of the forum.... there are a bunch, but I use about 4 or 5 of them.   All US based with the exception of one. 

Enjoy you new hobby and take a second mortgage on you home...your going to need it now. :)  

Great advice!

3 hours ago, old1ncal said:

Hi there, and welcome...

Thank you for the detailed response!!! Im down in SLO so im a little limited on the hobby stores.  I might get lucky though, one store I know of has about a 6k sq ft location downtown, never looked for airbrush paints there but maybe they will have them.  I do have a couple of michael's stores close by.  

Glad to hear that I can count on Avid, I think im gonna do basically what you did, order a bunch of cheap ones to practice on and then make the jump to the better blanks.  I will go ahead and get an order into avid as soon as I have a brush and paint though since it sounds like he might be a little slowed down. 

Love the forum! Both a well built forum, and a very helpful group of members! Im really excited to participate. 

I can already tell im not gonna be "saving" money exactly, but I will be able to create what I see in the water.  That apeals to me in a big way.  I fly fish a lot and a couple of the guys I fish with are experienced fly tiers.  I have always seen them interpret what they are seeing on the water and then whip something up the next day that works better than anything I can buy. I really think that same mindset will translate well to bass fishing.  

Don't know if there are any saltwater fisherman on this forum, but I am intending to paint my own rockfish jigs.  My local rockfish spots eat a lot of tackle so again, it will be nice to have a nearly unlimited supply of what I believe works. 

Welcome

Yes there are right many saltwater bait makers and fishermen/ladies here. There also a few land lock Rock/Stripers fisherpersons :D here also, I'm one. BobP is another that I know of. Most of us use water base paints but that is not the limit to what types of paints that you can use.

I suggest that the search option is a great way to gather infomation here. Its at the top of the page, a magnifying glass shape. I get in there a have read for hours. Everyone has different ways of doing things and not bad, "its what works for them". You have to find/decide what works for you.

Good luck to ya,

Dale

Love the search! I've been having good luck with google too! I pretty much try every search with "tackleunderground" attached. This place is awesome! 

Had an epoxy question, did a search and it looks like it will work, but just wanted to run it past you guys. I'm ordering some blanks and components for rod making from mudhole and I was wondering if there prokote epoxy would be an acceptable finish for hard baits? If so I could just order a larger size of that and have a go with it. 

On 4/27/2017 at 10:35 AM, ayetti said:

Don't know if there are any saltwater fisherman on this forum, but I am intending to paint my own rockfish jigs.  My local rockfish spots eat a lot of tackle so again, it will be nice to have a nearly unlimited supply of what I believe works. 

I Rock fish out of the Central Coast area, primarily out  of Morro Bay. I make most of my own jigs as well.  I airbrush vertical type jigs and top coat with Solarez, D2T or recently with KBS.  They hold up fairly well as long as they aren't dragging along the rocks, but not as well as powder coat.  I would not recommend airbrushing for jig heads as the rocks tear them up pretty quickly.

• Like 1