zx250

Cleaning a mold

Being a new mold it sounds to me like polishing residue or oils

If it's dirt or oils then dish soap is safe to use  . It works well and sunlight is the best one to use because it cuts thru the dirt and oils better than the other soaps .

Don't use the dishwasher detergents though   , they can cause a really bad reaction  with the aluminum if soaked for an extended period of time . Trust me , I've made that costly mistake 

Edited by curt k

cascade in particular is really bad and I had a horrible experience with it .

I washed a bunch of molds in the sink , then I  filled the top rack of the dishwasher so they could drip dry . a few hours later my wife filled the bottom rack with plates and fired up the dishwasher without seeing that the top rack was loaded . All of the molds turned purplish and felt as though they went thru a rough tumbler .

Some degreaser soaps will do the same or worse . I've turned aluminum parts black while soaking in one brand .

Dawn , palmolive or sunlight are the safest to use at home

Anything caustic will eat up aluminum.  Soaps made for dishwashers (machines) are very strong and should be avoided.  Liquid dish soap for hand-washing should be ok and hair shampoo would also be safe.  Some of the strong de-greasers are also strong caustics that should not be used on aluminum.  Remember that if you want to clean an aluminum engine or aluminum wheels!

• Like 1