eastman03

Foil experiments

I've been watching a bunch of videos of lure makers adding foil as a quick cheap way to get lots of flash out of a lure, so I figured I'd try it too.  

Here are a few of my thoughts and results. 

I need to have primed and painted the base colour that I want on the top before I think. Then I can fade it into the foil. Or foil the whole lure, which would be a bit tricky. 

Also, I ended up with a slight line at the edges of the foil. I need to get better at pressing it out. 

I took aluminum ducting tape and pressed it against a wire mesh to get the pattern. Then carefully put it onto the lure. Then epoxied over it and painted. 

Also realized I need more transparent paints. They are so awesome for control. I like the pearls but they cover everything. So thy are kinda useless over foil. 

I liked how the blue "Cisco" colour turned out. Transparent blue and purple on the sides.  The perch one has foil under it, but not using transparent paints kinda covers it up.  The walleye colour one has a real nice shine in the light. The other pictures is how it is first installed on the lure  and some practice pieces on paper  

Let me know what you guys think, or what else I could do! Love the site. This has been my inspiration to build lures!

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

• Like 1

Those look awesome! To help with the sharp edges, take the back handle of an exacto, or a piece of aluminum round stock and rub the edges down until it forms a very small taper. It help the epoxy before the pain lay out nice over it. A little light sanding will also do it 

• Like 2

It also helps to use the thinnest foil you can find.  Venture used to make a foil for stained glass art that was perfect, but discontinued it.  They do still make hvac adhesive foil in several different thicknesses and their thinnest is much thinner than the run of the mill tape found at home centers.  I found some on EBay.  The foil on it is thinner, as is the adhesive backing.  But the typical tape will work ok if you burnish down the edges and cover them with epoxy.

• Like 1

Really appreciate the compliments and the help guys!  I will keep my eye out for thin foil and I also picked up a plastic bone folder for edge work. 

Any of you guys from Canada? Only airbrush paint I can find is testers at michaels. It has worked great but limited colours. I hear so much about hobby lobby, might have to make a trip. Or do most of you order online.  I would like to get some createx, seems like the best brand with lots of colours. 

Createx is the standard of quality and has wide availability but the options you find in stores are often limited to a pretty narrow range of basic colors.  Unless you are willing to mix intermediate colors (I prefer not to), you will probably want to explore other brands online including taxidermy acrylic paints from brands like Polytranspar, Wildlife, etc.  There are hundreds of colors and special effects to choose from if you look online.

• Like 2

Awesome job.    I've been thinking about attempting to foil some blanks and see what happens.     As I learn, I am finding out that some of the ideas I have come up with can not be done (at least by myself) without foil.      Again Awesome job.   Wish I could get a fin to look like the one in your silver/blue

Ron

• Like 1

Ahhh the fins. I've had more flops than good ones. I wish I could get more to look like that one too.  I've only made a handful of baits, so I hope I can get more consistent at it. Sure is fun. Thanks for the compliment! I keep watching YouTube vids and see how guys like solar and marling make their fins. Lots of great videos there 

Foiling is a lot easier if the bait has textured scales (rehab)To make scales from scratch I use regular tin foil , a coarse file,and a wallpaper boarder roller to emboss a scale finish.Then Elmers spray glue to attach to lure.Can't get too aggressive with the foil because the pattern will flatten out.Just lay it on and let the glue set.I've been using Sharpies.They are kind of transparent,alot of colors to choose from,and pretty easy.To get rid of the hard edges lightly moisten a paper towel with alcohol and gently rub the area.The alchohol helps blend the colors and soften the edge.I can't paint so this works pretty well for me.Oh ya I coat the bait with Devcon epoxy to finish.Sometimes the original sharpie color fades when epoxied (usually light blue) Just redo the color when the epoxy cures and recoat.

Lots to think about in applying the be foil. Thanks guys. I will look up that flash tape for sure. I have been looking for some sort of bright/ iridescent colour of tape that is thin. I've found thick stick on safety type tape. Nothing thin enough to wrap on a lure yet.