walleye warrior

Flake and glow clumping

When I am heating and dipping my jigs in powdercoat with a heavy flake or a glow pigment, the flakes or glow often concentrates around the top/ eye of the jig. Does anyone else experience this? Is there a cure?

I am using a air bed with just the minimal amount of air flowing through the powder. I also feel i am getting the heat right, (not to hot)

I also have this happen, even though I tap the jig, upside down, after I swish it through the powder to get as much out of the weed guard hole as possible.

I just thought it was the fishing gods telling me the glitter/glow goes up!

Seriously, I don't get migration to the hook eye when I cure them in the toaster over, head down, for 30 minutes at 350.

I'm guessing it because of how I dip the heads initially.  I hold them by the hook eye, and dip them top face up, because that's the best way for me to get the head covered without too much on the hook shank.

Maybe the glitter/glow is in the top layer of powder, so it just coats the jig top more.

I have never been able to use a glitter color in the fluid bed with consistent results. What happens is the glitter doesn't suspend as high so the top of the jig being further down in the cup ends up with all the glitter. I take a glitter color and use a small bowl, I can swish the head through it and get a good coat and then just take the bowl and give it a little shake and you're ready to go again.

• Like 2

I am also holding the jig from the hook eye. I have shut off the fluid bed with some of the powders I use with a smaller flake and they come out fine.

Large flake and glow seems to be my problem. I am trying to do a gold and black jig with the gold on bottom. But the darn flake wants to lay on the top leaving the bottom just gold colored transparent.

You can try coating the bottom by dribbling the color mix over it by hand after you've swished it in the fluid bath.

I do that with my glow powder to try and keep the details on spinnerbait heads cleaner, and to add a different color to the top of the bait.

There are folks here (Cadman) who are true artists when it comes to adding powder by hand, but I'm not.  I just take a pinch between my fingers, and drop it on as I need it.  I'm not steady enough anymore to do the tap the spoon method, but it produces some amazing results.

Walley

On 5/3/2017 at 5:13 AM, walleye warrior said:

I am trying to do a gold and black jig with the gold on bottom. But the darn flake wants to lay on the top leaving the bottom just gold colored transparent.

I am a bit confused on what you are trying to do, so I am going to try to write this the way I understand it and them please correct me if I'm wrong. You stated above, that you want to do a black jig with gold on the bottom. Where does the glow come in?

If I were to do a black/gold jig, I would not use a fluid bed. Multi-color jigs always come out better for me doing them by hand. 

#1....Do the bottom of the jig gold color, and let the gold come up the sides a bit.

#2.....Then turn the jig over and put on the black. 

You always want to put your bottom colors on first. Reason being is that it looks more natural, when the top colors fall naturally over a bottom color. When it gets baked the colors blend in and you don't get any transition lines only fade. That's the way I would do it. Now there are many ways to do this so you will have to find what works for you.

In regards to glow powder paints. I have used them for many walleye jigs, and the actual glow paint, which looks like beige color, but glows like light green is a P.I.T.A. to work with. The powder I have is a very heavy pigment, and when you heat up a jig, there always seems to be too much powder that wants to stick onto the jig. If I were to use a fluid bed for glow, I would heat the jig only hot enough, so the glow would stick to the jig but not gloss over. Your jig should look covered, but dull and grainy. This way , you know you won't have too much powder on the jig. Then heat the jig to gloss over. if you don't have good coverage, wait until the jig cools a bit and run through the powder again. Do this until you get good coverage. Glow paint is notorious for not giving good coverage, and you have to put on a lot of paint to actually get the glow to, well glow. This is my experience with glow. I am not saying I'm right, but you can get some tips and try to see what works out for you.

Glitters, like smalljaw mentioned, especially the larger flakes are horrible in a fluid bed. Any and all glitters other than Herbie's Magic Dust which is really fine should be sprinkled on by hand to get even coverage in my opinion. 

I hope I have helped some, If I didn't answer your question please rephrase it so I can answer it better.

• Like 1