Lucky777

What is the best Silicone to use for molds

I recently got into Plastic lure making and I am learning the ropes and hoping someone can shed some light onto this subject for me. I know there are many out there but which is best to use for plastic lure making and most affordable. I used the Alumilite High Strength 2 the first time and have about 1 mold left to make from it. I'm looking at making many more molds from silicone rubber before I make my aluminum mold. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

If u want a perfectly glassy shiny  bait then use epoxy on your masters and Mold max 30 - works without degassing if u lay a thin layer on the bait for ten minutes then top up mold box. 

If not I think Mold star is great but platinum cures can be sensitive to chemicals leading to cure inhibition. The platinum last the longest  

Oomoo is easy mix but won't last. 

Lucky, your question is a lot like asking if it is better to marry a blond, a red head, or a brunet.  What I like and what you like is probably going to be completely different.

First, are you making a mold of something  with lots of undercuts?  If so, you will need something very flexible and the HS2 or even an HS3 from Alumilite is awesome for that.  Smooth-on also makes similar products.  If you are going to inject or you use a foam, then  you want something more dimensionally stable, like Alumilite Quick Set, HS1, etc.  Again Smooth-on has similar products.  I am giving you tin based silicones because they are easier to use and do not react to residual chemicals like the platinum based silicones.  Still, each have their place.

I call my tin based silicones my prototype silicones.  I don't expect them to last 100 pours, although most of mine have lasted more then that.  If I am moving up,  then the platinum based give longer life span and often more dimensional stability.  Once I have moved passed prototype, and if I am able to use a two or more piece mold, and I don't have undercuts,  I then can use something like Alumilite Vac-Master 50 and get aluminum mold quality and durability without the price.  Yes, Smooth-on also has similar products.  But, if you are going to Aluminum molds, what is the point of using platinum based molds at all.  Go from your tin straight to Aluminum.

I hope this helps, but, IMHO, you need to watch some more videos and decide what your goal is.  Perhaps, just perhaps, the choice or blonde, red head or brunet can be easier to answer if we know more, like height preferences, age, etc.  LOL

Tough Question.  I will give you a link to a bunch of videos to check out that can translate to both Alumilite and Smooth-on with a little research on available products.  I am an Alumilite guy, but I have used Smooth-on.  I cannot compare all of the products, but I have my preferences....... PS, I married a brunet.  :D

http://www.makelure.com/store/pg/54-How-To-Videos.aspx

• Like 2

You know I wish I could recall what project I was working on put I had one of the other plastics outfits send me over to Smooth-On for a solution once and I have been looking at Smooth-On first ever since.  Also, Smooth-On has resellers in several major metro areas.  They may not stock everything, but there's a chance you might get what you want locally if you are in or near a big city. 

Yeah, I can't tell you what you are going to like.  I can only tell you what I like.

One of the reasons I like Alumilite is that Hobby Lobby has a lot of what I want and they are in most major cities.  Smooth-On has a lot on Amazon, so......... tough call. 

I do believe that for my applications that the Alumilite was better, but......

Edited by Anglinarcher

On Thu May 04 2017 at 4:17 PM, Landry said:

If u want a perfectly glassy shiny  bait then use epoxy on your masters and Mold max 30 - works without degassing if u lay a thin layer on the bait for ten minutes then top up mold box. 

If not I think Mold star is great but platinum cures can be sensitive to chemicals leading to cure inhibition. The platinum last the longest  

Oomoo is easy mix but won't last. 

Do you mind if I ask what kind of epoxy you use? Or does anything work as long as it has set and cured

Envirotex lite and devcon 2T (which I find too thick but sets in 30min). 

But the epoxied masters had cures for 5 months. 

U can use newly cured epoxy with moldmax30 and use the same pouting trick (thin layer over your master, wait ten. Unites them pour the rest in the corner of your mold box) - apparently tin cure molds don't last as long though. 

The result is a glass smooth finish on your mold:

IMG_5403.JPG

9 hours ago, Landry said:

Envirotex lite and devcon 2T (which I find too thick but sets in 30min). 

But the epoxied masters had cures for 5 months. 

U can use newly cured epoxy with moldmax30 and use the same pouting trick (thin layer over your master, wait ten. Unites them pour the rest in the corner of your mold box) - apparently tin cure molds don't last as long though. 

The result is a glass smooth finish on your mold:

IMG_5403.JPG

Is the 5 month thing necessary? I use high strength 3 do you know I'd that would be an issue?