CNC Molds N Stuff

Eyes - There has got to be a better way

I really like the pop a 3D stick on eye gives a swimbait or jerkbait.  The visual appeal is huge. 

However I've never liked securing them by dipping the bait in a coat of clear plastisol.  As you know its hard to keep it clear long enough when reheating a small quantity for dipping, and to be honest it really doesn't bond to the eye to lock it in place or even to the plastic below unless you preheat the finished bait warm enough to make it pliable. 

On top of that it takes away from the visual appeal of the bait.  That pretty eye that really makes my bait look likes it going to try to dart away gets a sort of glazed look, and the dip mutes the features of the bait up to its end line.  The end line itself takes away from the bait visually. 

As I mentioned above the eye isn't really secure.  Its just encapsulated.  With a little abuse skipping it up under brush, and maybe a strike or two, or maybe just poor handling the eye can turn in place and tear out more easily that I would like. 

Experience tells me the fish don't care, but I care.  I want a better way. 

I have thought about trying a cyanoacrylate glue, but as you know it makes a hard connection that won't flex with the bait.  Still if it holds it might be ok, so I took a look at the eyes themselves.  The tacky glue that holds them to the sheet and if you are lucky to the bait until you do something to secure it might be a problem.   I wonder if it would impede good adhesion of the cyanoacrylate.  Then there's the fact that most stick back 3D eyes are actually two pieces.  Atleast the ones I have from two different sources.  What looks like mylar (eye) and a clear plastic top (the lense) that are "glued?" together.   So I started to wonder even if the glue works... would it really work, or would the failure point just move bait/eye interface to the eye/lens interface. 

I even thought about making my own eyes out of plastisol and using soft bait glue.  Sitting there dotting eyes with a paint brush is not all that appealing, and to be honest bait glue doesn't hold up on the shelf.  I bought several bottles a few years ago, and when I got around to opening the second bottle they had all gone hard in the unopened containers. 

There has got to be a better answer. 

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

I take it you tried the spike it soft plastic eyes as you mentioned the soft plastic glue. I have some but haven't tried them yet but have seen some baits made with them and they looked pretty good.  Here's their description including some of the drawbacks using the 3D eyes, as you describe.IMG_1638.thumb.PNG.50e2dce03550cf40f3cd59f1f30fe313.PNG

• Like 4

I have not.  I didn't realize there was somebody making plastisol eyes for bulk sale.  I'll have to look into it and see if their price makes it better than making my own.  (ie: cheaper than my time...)  I wonder how well their glue holds up on the shelf.  As I mentioned I had bad luck with soft bait glue in the past.  

Thank you.  That's great info.  You've made several posts lately I've found informational and useful.  

~~~~~~

Yeah, the price is reasonable.  I'll have to try them.  

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff
  • Like 1