Ichthus

coffin bill shaker blades

I'm looking for coffin shaped shaker blades like the original vibrating jig uses. I've found sources from China, but they're sold out of the medium sized blades that are commonly used on the 1/4 oz size. these baits are for personal use.

1 hour ago, Ichthus said:

I'm looking for coffin shaped shaker blades like the original vibrating jig uses. I've found sources from China, but they're sold out of the medium sized blades that are commonly used on the 1/4 oz size. these baits are for personal use.

Try these .....either the jig dancer or mag jig dancer.

Hope this helps.

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Jig-Dancer-Blades/Jig-Dancer-Blades_2.html

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Jig-Dancer-Blades/Mag-Jig-Dancer-Blades_2.html

• Like 1

I bet you are looking for the older angular shaped blades. As far as I know, the suppliers here in the states went to ^^^^^these^^^^ because of issues with Zman. It's been suggested to use some metal shears, maybe. Personally, I would use my hand grinder. That said, I can't see how that small a change would matter to the fish, though.

• Like 1

Z-Man not only goes after us but they also go after suppliers which is why you don't see them anymore. Barlow's had them for a short time but I imagine they were made to stop selling them even though they were better than what was on the original chatterbait.  Using both types of blades on the same head I can tell you what I noticed, and that is that the coffin style blade has a tighter side to side action with more thump. The caveat to that is that the only time I saw that difference is when you bend the blade, leaving the blade straight there isn't much difference between the rounded or the coffin but when you bend the top part of the blade the coffin style produces more vibration. Personally I was worried about using the rounded blades but I discovered that my catch rates were almost identical so I believe the rounded blades produce more than enough vibration. The nice thing about keeping logs is that when you need to use a different component you can check results side by side for a good comparison over time, and I started doing that seeing how different spinner blades produced in similar conditions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ichthus said:

thank you so much small jaw. I think it's ridiculous how aggressive Zman is with all of their patenting.

It is their right.  What I think is ridiculous is how poor their blade to jig connection is.  I won't use theirs anymore and stocked up on the Blackmore version before they were forced to stop making them.  I don't know how many blades I have lost on the "Chatter Bait" jigs.  :wacko:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

It is their right.  What I think is ridiculous is how poor their blade to jig connection is.  I won't use theirs anymore and stocked up on the Blackmore version before they were forced to stop making them.  I don't know how many blades I have lost on the "Chatter Bait" jigs.  :wacko:

Ichthus ... here's a challenge for ya.

Make a new improved different design that doesn't come undone.

Either patent it, or better still make it open source so anyone can use it.

2 hours ago, fshng2 said:

Ichthus ... here's a challenge for ya.

Make a new improved different design that doesn't come undone.

Either patent it, or better still make it open source so anyone can use it.

That is not hard, done it, just not worth a patent.  As soon as I get back on my feet (total knee replacement) I will post the combination of components I use to do it.  Then anyone can do it.  LPO has what you need already, just a little bit of a trick to do it.

40 minutes ago, Apdriver said:

Anglinarcher, hope your recovery is total and all your pain is resolved. Frankly, I've never lost a blade on my chatterbaits. That said, we look forward to seeing your version.

X2 Wishing a speedy recovery.

1 hour ago, Anglinarcher said:

That is not hard, done it, just not worth a patent.  As soon as I get back on my feet (total knee replacement) I will post the combination of components I use to do it.  Then anyone can do it.  LPO has what you need already, just a little bit of a trick to do it.

I hope you have a speedy recovery! I look forward to your post.

I have made a few chatterbaits using connectors from LPO. They seem to run OK, but I look forward to new ideas.

Pete

In all honesty guys I really like using a split ring on a flat eye hook for bladed swim jigs aka chatterbaits.  I made my first ones with a double split ring set up and that had a lot of movement, especially when you changed up speeds but on the double ring it would bind every now and then. So I made one with a spinnerbait head using .040" diameter wire and I made one with the wire coming out of the head 2" and one with the wire cut so the blade was right on the nose of the bait. Both worked well but lacked the head clacking nosie but had plenty of vibration. I then used an awl to pry open the hook eye and it was time consuming but it worked for direct blade attachment (patent infringement as they have the way the blade is attached under protection as well) and it had the thump and noise with some searching or hunting movement. Then I used a head with a flat eye hook, the Trokar Pro Swim Jig, and that is now my number one bladed swim jig!! I attach the blade with a single split ring so there is no problem with Z-Man but the best part is now I have the vibration, noise, and a lot more erratic action than the direct blade attachment and the fish hit it with ferocity, so my search is over...For now!!! 

1 hour ago, smalljaw said:

In all honesty guys I really like using a split ring on a flat eye hook for bladed swim jigs aka chatterbaits.  I made my first ones with a double split ring set up and that had a lot of movement, especially when you changed up speeds but on the double ring it would bind every now and then. So I made one with a spinnerbait head using .040" diameter wire and I made one with the wire coming out of the head 2" and one with the wire cut so the blade was right on the nose of the bait. Both worked well but lacked the head clacking nosie but had plenty of vibration. I then used an awl to pry open the hook eye and it was time consuming but it worked for direct blade attachment (patent infringement as they have the way the blade is attached under protection as well) and it had the thump and noise with some searching or hunting movement. Then I used a head with a flat eye hook, the Trokar Pro Swim Jig, and that is now my number one bladed swim jig!! I attach the blade with a single split ring so there is no problem with Z-Man but the best part is now I have the vibration, noise, and a lot more erratic action than the direct blade attachment and the fish hit it with ferocity, so my search is over...For now!!! 

Smalljaw,

I was looking for some flat eye jigs this weekend to try just that configuration! Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to get to Cabela's or BPS and none of the molds I have produce flat eye jigs.  I have been using figure 8 links from LPO, but I don't think the blade is close enough to the head to give me the best action.

Pete

Since Apdriver sent me some to try (thank you again) I've been opening the eye on my jigs (Mustad hooks), and adding the blade.  Some people twist the eye open and slip the blade on, and then twist it back, but I use the awl method.  Works fine.

Back when the chatterbait first came out, my buddy and I tried to duplicate it using spinnerbait blades and split rings.  While they worked, they would sometimes lock up on the cast, and were a pain to make.   And the brass blades didn't hold up.

When Predator began to sell the components, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

A friend who makes TNT jigs uses two split rings for his Claymore Jig, his version of a bladed jig, and it works really well, too, in the off colored water I fish now.  Lots of movement from the looser attachment.

We caught fish on our homemade jigs way back when, so I know that almost any configuration will get bit.

For me, a more direct connection is easier, and works just fine.

6 hours ago, smalljaw said:

Sounds like we think a lot alike.  Could you post your set-up?  Sounds pretty much like mine.

The problem I was having with the ZMan stuff was clearly not a design issue but a quality issue.  Once I noticed that a lot of their connections were not closed, I started to close them up with pliers.  That took care of the issue, but by then I already had my own stuff and the Blackmore stuff.

I don't make this stuff to sell and I have so many that I cannot see needing to get more in the near future, but lost blades were an issue.  If they were not for you, you either got them before, or after, their quality problems, or never fished with them much.  LOL  It was a real issue on several "fishing" forums for a time several years ago as well.

• Like 1

I've been doing what Mark does for a while here with the Phenix vibrating jigs. Ole California delta trick (wink wink) but I really wanna start pouring the heads myself. Zman had the right idea with the chatterbait but in the past years the quality of components has gotten worse from them. That's why I wanna make my own.

• Like 2

And for clarification I do believe zman should defend their patent but I don't think that just because some guy makes one for himself in his garage that works a little better than the original he should get in trouble. :) I know if I had a patent and people started mass producing my idea without giving me credit I would be pissed too.

• Like 1

Zmans patent as well as millions of others only prevent you from selling the ideas behind the patent for monetary value or making them available for free to the general public. For personal use you can make her do whatever you want you can paint the Mona Lisa and you can make a watch.

Better yet, get the components and make some vibrating swim jigs for yourself.

IMG_20190705_122908073.jpg

What Is Patent Infringement?

When someone sells, imports, uses, or makes a product that someone else invented without permission, patent infringement has occurred.

From here:  https://www.upcounsel.com/patent-infringement

While Zman likely wouldn't go after a guy in his garage making a couple of baits for personal use, it is still patent infringement.

Edited by bryanmc
  • Like 2