Ces

Small gliders anyone?

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone is making small gliders, say a 2 1/4 inch version? I haven't seen any commercial models so I was thinking it was just too hard or there isn't a commercial market.

Thanks guys,

Ces.

I researched this out some a few years ago and there are a few Saltwater gliders in that size range.  I know that Rapala made one as well.  I have a Rapala I purchased a few years ago, a slow sinking one, but it functions more as a subsurface slap bait then a true glider.

I have made a few and they work great, but the floaters do not glide "feet" like the 7 or 8 inchers can; they glide maybe 8" to a foot.  The subsurface even less.  Still, it depends on what you want to do with them.

Due to the density of water and the size of the lures you are talking about, there are certain limits that the laws of physics impose that limit what can be done.......but, again, within limits, yes, and they are effective.

• Like 1

Hi,

Maybe you can take a look at the Salmo slider? The smallest sizes are 5cm, 7cm and 10 cm. That is 2, 3 and 4 Inches I believe. I have seen either the 5 or the 7cm. The action was looking good to me and the lure was very stable in the water. It can be fished fast. I thought about building one myself. The slider is a bit between walk the dog and glide bait. A very short lure is  never going to glide very far.

The larger size Salmo slider is really good for pike. I have that one in the tackle box and it is very good.

Like thiko says,the salmo slider is a good small glider,as mentioned small drop belly type gliders or any small gliders aren't gliding far as such. Smallest I make is about 3 inch and it works well , catches fish and worth having. I use it for fry feeding pike. I would recommend bohyant wood and and fairly slim, for a 3-3.5 inch lure i use 12-13mm thick.cedar or the lightest meranti I can get. Balsa would also be ideal...........glider

I have pictures in the gallery (somewhere) of some small gliders that work great.  They are my smallmouth killers.  I have made them in wide gizzard shad shapes and narrow shiner shapes.  They both glide great but the wide gizzard shad shape catches far more fish for me, especially at Erie.  The prototypes I carved out of PVC and then once I got them where I liked them I made them out of resin.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Great information there. I'll have to look into those commercial models as the one's I've pre-shaped are set to be sub-surface lures, too slim to ever carry ballast and hooks etc to float by the sounds of things. 

Oh well... I'm sure I'll find a use for them. Now to take everything on board and try again. Drop belly may be the way to go for what I'm after. I'm looking for a mullet/smelt profile.

thanks again guys.

cheers, 

ces.

2 hours ago, gliders said:

Ces,if your stuggling for a drop belly pattern I can show you my 3.5 inch if it helps, you need to be careful with shapes,what may appear a nice shape in terms of imitation might not be so good when it comes to action........glider

Would a feathered rear treble help make up for "not so great" shape?

Edited by mark poulson

Mark, it can to a degree, kind of acts like a parachute and can stop a badly designed /ballasted glider from turning round on itself, in my experience. Personally I dont like it as it severely dulls the action/glide in my opinion. Out of interest What size or type glider did you have problems with ?......glider

9 minutes ago, gliders said:

Mark, it can to a degree, kind of acts like a parachute and can stop a badly designed /ballasted glider from turning round on itself, in my experience. Personally I dont like it as it severely dulls the action/glide in my opinion. Out of interest What size or type glider did you have problems with ?......glider

I tried to make 3" and 4" gliders, but never got them to work well.

Be interested what design and material you used as well as what you mean by work well , got to go now though ,nearly 2a.m here and just finishing  ballast on 12 big cedar gliders, gonna need my own lead mine soon ! Cheers .....glider

I used Azek PVC trimboard.  Here's a picture from the Gallery:

I had to laugh when I read my description below the picture.  I had forgotten that they worked.  I made them just to see if I could, and they've been lying in a box on my shop shelves ever since.  I may have to give them another try.  Hahaha

Edited by mark poulson