j.burch

Do they really?.....

Do the the natural colors on senkos really need to be transparent in order to catch fish?  Black isn't so why are the natural colors?  

Also, when making a black with blue flake, what color of blue flake are you guys using?  I have Navy Blue, Canadian Blue and Royal Blue.

Not sure if that is a rant or a true question, but I do have some input for you.

First, NO, transparent is not necessary to catch fish, but Senkos are, by nature a finesse bait.

Finesse baits have been proven to be more effective if they are understated in color or super realistic.  Transparent is a great way to go understated. 

No, fish are not art critics, but they are programed to compare what they eat with what they are observing to eat.  Transparent gives them less cues to turn them off.  Pretty tough to pour super realistic and in many of our experiences transparent seems to give less negative cues.

Still, opaque colors will catch fish.  Black is, by nature pretty understated though.

One last thing.  Yammamoto makes baits to sell.  His company clearly feels that transparent baits in the "natural" line sells better.  That alone explains it all.

• Like 1

Hmm. So heck, let's discuss how to make transparent senkos. I have to say, one of the best I've seen is MonteSS. That's his handle on here but he makes some really nice transparent senkos. He uses glass blast media instead of salt. It adds weight without changing the color as you have noticed salt will. Well, he just showed up. Maybe we can talk him into helping out. He's the real stickbait deal......

• Like 1

No, the glass bead media has no flavor, but you can add just a little salt for taste, if you want. I can also tell you, the different grinds of salt make a difference in the clarity you get from the bait. If you hit the activity button a menu will drop down and search will be the last choice. I searched salt and got pages of old discussions in the archives regarding salt discussions. Here's  one copied and pasted that has a lot of relevance to our discussion. There is a lot of historical value in our archives that will be helpful for you.

The blast media I use is pure glass beads, and has no salt.  I add a tablespoon of salt for flavor to a 1 cup plastic/1/2 cup bead mixture.  I also add 1/2 teaspoon of heat stabilizer, and 1 teaspoon of softener.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LBS-Glass-Bead-Medium-Grit-MIL-SPEC-8-70-100-grit-Sand-Blasting-Abrasive-/111672165459?hash=item1a002e0453:g:VocAAOxydgZTKU6c

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mark poulson said:

The blast media I use is pure glass beads, and has no salt.  I add a tablespoon of salt for flavor to a 1 cup plastic/1/2 cup bead mixture.  I also add 1/2 teaspoon of heat stabilizer, and 1 teaspoon of softener.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LBS-Glass-Bead-Medium-Grit-MIL-SPEC-8-70-100-grit-Sand-Blasting-Abrasive-/111672165459?hash=item1a002e0453:g:VocAAOxydgZTKU6c

just ordered some...going to try this out and see how it works....I'll keep yah posted.

15 hours ago, j.burch said:

Thanks.  It's not a rant.  Still not understanding why a GY is but mine isn't when I add the salt.  

Sorry, now your post is clear to me.

I am glad the others got on and cleared up how they do this.  There are also some new plastics that are "sinking" that should work as well.

I know GY uses a very fine grind.  Frankly I think that MonteSS is on the cutting edge of transparent sinking sticks for sure.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong.  Some of the baits I've made have turned out great looking. But when you hold them up to the sunlight,  you can't see day light through it so that makes me second guess myself.  I had one guy tell me that it could also be the mold I'm using. 

4 hours ago, j.burch said:

Don't get me wrong.  Some of the baits I've made have turned out great looking. But when you hold them up to the sunlight,  you can't see day light through it so that makes me second guess myself.  I had one guy tell me that it could also be the mold I'm using. 

I don't think the mold will affect how translucent a bait will come out.  Holding them up to the sun, if they're translucent the light will show through, no matter how slick or rough the bait's surface is.

• Like 1

i still use salt and probably wont switch. salt is natural and non-toxic. dont think glass beads are too safe if you or your pets consume them somehow.

salt is cheap and apparently fish hold onto salt baits longer than unsalted (what i've heard, could be wrong)

transparent sticks look cool but i highly doubt a fish that wants your senko is going to have time to determine if its a realistic color or not. they are triggered on the action of a bait. spraypaint a real crayfish any color you want and its getting slammed every time.

ive fished hundreds of colors of stick baits and they have all worked (in my opinion) the same.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ipt said:

i still use salt and probably wont switch. salt is natural and non-toxic. dont think glass beads are too safe if you or your pets consume them somehow.

salt is cheap and apparently fish hold onto salt baits longer than unsalted (what i've heard, could be wrong)

transparent sticks look cool but i highly doubt a fish that wants your senko is going to have time to determine if its a realistic color or not. they are triggered on the action of a bait. spraypaint a real crayfish any color you want and its getting slammed every time.

ive fished hundreds of colors of stick baits and they have all worked (in my opinion) the same.

You sell baits. Very good baits. If you used glass beads, they last so long, customers would not need to buy as many. Bad for you.

I mainly use for myself and prefer the glass bead sticks. 20+ bass on each stick.

Yes may cost like five cents extra per bag.

I dont agree with the salt makes them hold longer. But MANY do so it is a good selling point.

More clear look nicer. Brighter and show flake better. Some say better in clear water.

Glass beads are like a fine talcum powder. They are actually sand so no harm

I totally agree that in my experience stick color does not matter. Use an appropriate color for different water clarities or light so fish can at least see it.

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 1

My 2 cents-

1-Too much coloring will make the baits cloudy regardless of GBM or salt

2-Use finely ground salt ( Bear''s Ultra fine) and you sticks will last longer

"Glass beads are like a fine talcum powder. They are actually sand so no harm "

3- GBM will scratch/score the rubber quad ring,the edge of the plunger and the interior of the injector.They are not like finely ground talcum powder. Why are they called glass bead media?"?

Montee SS states that GMB is sand. If that is true then why does my original mix of salt and sand  NOT scratch the interiors of my injector for the past 8 years. Bass could care less if your sticks are clear,transparent or translucent.