gliders

Wood sealers/hardeners

Hey guy's, I often use one of the solvent based hardeners to seal lures for ballasting ,then seal with epoxy. It seems to me they are all pretty much the same thing , i.e plastic dissolved in acetone. Lots of folk use propionate pellets disolved in same, I also know that some other crafts use plexiglass also dissolved in acetone. Do any of you guy's know if these are basically the same thing ? Is there going to be any major differences regarding the type of solids used when applied to wood fishing lures ? I'm wondering if there's any plastic that would be noticeably better than another, I kinda suspect it might be much of a muchness. Any chemists out there ?.......glider

I think you'll find that some plastics will not dissolve in acetone and some dissolve so slowly that it is impractical to use them.  This was a TU topic several years ago, mostly about using various plastic cups.  Some tried it and found the coating would crack after drying.  So the subject pettered out pretty quickly.  

• Like 1

Thanks bobp,that's 1 thing I was kinda thinking might happen, I remember lots of folk trying the plastic cups etc. What about acetone based wood hardeners bob,are these basically similar? I.e plaastic dissolved in solvent ?...........glider

Thanks bob, from what I can see l suspect they might all be similar products ,i..e some sort of plastic resin dissolved in solvent. Wondering if it's  worth the hassle of making something, if at best it's the same as stuff I can buy which does the job. Are propionate pellets/plastic cups/plexiglass etc. Likely to be better ?........glider

Yip ,I've heard of a variety of plastics used, some of the hardeners are moisture cure but I'm wondering if the end result is similar, i.e  a thin coat of resin after evaporation. Thinking about it though , you would imagine hardener type products are more likely to be using a cellulose resin. Cheers........glider

Got you woodie, I do seal with epoxy after ballast, because on gliders I individually ballast each lure in water , I use a quick thin sealcoat just to allow me to ballast each one, then epoxy.  Really only an issue on gliders that need critical balancing, particularly gliders designed to fish really slow. Thanks again....glider

No ben, with most gliders I make ,each one has to be individually balanced in water,there's  no way round it. With certain glider designs and types its not as crucial ,but with others, it is in my opinion . Basically just a sealcoat to allow balancing, and then epoxy over. ..glider

Edited by gliders

As far as plastics in acetone being the same...not really but really just depends on what you are wanting to achieve and how technical you want to get.  As far as a seal coat they all will do fine for the most part.  The main issue I had were paint/top coat compatibility issues.

I used plastic solo cups dissolved in  lacquer thinner for a lot of baits with relatively no issues.   Plenty of propionate also.   Also used plexiglass dissolved in solvent.   I switched to shellac a long time ago however for sealing baits.   I have had no issues installing ballast/testing with shellac sealed lures.     

Thanks travis, I've also used shellac sanding sealer to do the same job ,worked o.k also . I think sanding sealer may have another ingredient to stop sandpaper clogging and allow smooth sanding ? I can buy what you guy's call laquer in larger more cost effective amounts and suspect it would basically be similar to nitrocellulose sanding sealer without the ingredient which makes it a sanding sealer rather than just a sealer if that makes sense.

14 hours ago, gliders said:

No ben, with most gliders I make ,each one has to be individually balanced in water,there's  no way round it. With certain glider designs and types its not as crucial ,but with others, it is in my opinion . Basically just a sealcoat to allow balancing, and then epoxy over. ..glider

Have you tried a waterproof building material, like PVC?  I use it, and don't have to seal anything when I float test and ballast my baits.

7 hours ago, gliders said:

Not properly tried it mark, messed about with a couple of small lures . I've not really seen anything that I like the look of here. 

How does the weight compare with say cedar?

The AZEK decking I use is the same weight at poplar, and the AZEK trimboard is close to heavy balsa.

I haven't built with cedar, so I don't know how the two compare to it.