RSS

Airbrush acrylic colors

Hi

This is Raghubir from UAE, this is my first post in the group.

I work as HR Manager and  have been into lure making as a hobby , spend my week ends trying to master the art of making wooden lures. 

Developed this hobby while doing shore fishing here in Dubai and was excited of making my own lures. In UAE getting colors and other equipment's are very difficult and

one need to buy online which are pretty expensive. Certain tools you need to develop yourself with the available resources and i made scroll saw from jig saw , will post the

same in this group.

I have started trying airbrushing my lures and bought basic cretex  colors through eBay. The colors includes black & white opaque while red, blue & green are transparent . The problem i have specifically with red & white colors which i am not able to thin and results into clogging of airbrush.

Could any one advise my how should i go about it or there are other brands which can shoot through airbrush easily and do not required thinning at all.

My airbrush needle size are .2mm, .3mm & .5mm.

Thanks, Raghubir

Another source for airbrush paint is taxidermy suppliers.  In addition to Createx, they carry brands like Van Dyke Nature's Gallery, Wildlife Colors, Polytranspar, etc.  These are colors developed specifically for animals including fish species.  They typically come in both acrylic latex and lacquer based forms and are pre-thinned to spray right out of the bottle.  You can mix and match brands of acrylics with no compatibility problems.  I shoot most paints with a .3mm tip and use a .2mm tip occasionally for fine shading.  A .5mm tip would be useful for color base coating with a highly pigmented white paint like Polytranspar Superhide White.  Most taxidermy flake and pearl colors will shoot ok with a .3mm tip, with only occasional clogging.  Createx is the standard of quality for basic colors but the taxidermy palette is much wider in my experience.

• Like 1

Thanks BobP, for sharing your first hand experiences, do these colors needs special precaution while handing them.

I do the same way, MonteSS. Thanks for be there for the help, I have very limited experience of painting lures with airbrush. So far could manage to paint 5-6 lures, sometimes Opaque white gets thin and most of the time not. I have seen that its basically used to paint the belly of the lure.

You know when you have carved a great lure are not able paint it because of color in-spite of all option and end up spoiling  the bait its so frustrating.

Y'day i was trying to paint belly of lure with opaque white but when the color decided that it will not get thin and flow through brush, i end up painting  belly with yellow transparent color.  

59187ca3d4aae_glidebait1.JPG.9841ab40f3802cbf0a37fc7b96c8858c.JPG

59187ca570c11_glidebait2.JPG.57b26d1f4491c1997da60f58896864ba.JPG

Hi, gliders me too. Yes i was looking for a group which gives me some ideas and advice on using airbrush & colors specifically and found this group meeting my expectations.

Regards,  Raghubir

• Like 1

Raghubir, createx opaque white is fairly thick, try different amounts of thinner or water till it shoots,practice on paper or whatever. Also try raising the air pressure and/or try adjusting the needle stop knob at the rear of your airbrush to allow more paint to flow. Really is a matter of trial and error, also, painting the belly of foiled lures to hide the edges of the foil with opaque white is tricky - with the  higher pressure needed for the opaque paint ,it is very easy to get overspray up the sides which is ugly and takes away from the foil effect on the sides. I understand it must be frustrating when you can't easily get various brands of paints to practice with, however if you can get hold of any cheap water- based arylic craft or artists paint ,you can thin these with water and use for practising on paper to save your airbrush paints. Good luck,keep at it and you'll get there. .......glider