Sudd

Question about plastisol fumes

I've started injecting plastics, and I bought a new 3m paint project respirator. I run a fan beside me to push the steam and fumes out the door thats open on the other side of me. But sometimes I still get a whiff of plastic even with all that. What's up with my mask? Its brand new so I know its not time to change cartridges.

I never used a respirator (stone throws to a minimum, please LOL,) but I AM a pest control guy and can offer a couple tips. 

Sounds to me like you're not getting a good seal. 

First, make sure the cartridges are placed properly.  If they are, facial hair is the most common cause of getting unwanted air in.   We used to do a banana test and if you could smell just a hint of it, 90 percent of the time mustaches and/or beards were the culprit.   If you are clean shaven, you might just need to tighten the straps.  These 3m respirators are really good and you shouldn't be able to smell a thing. 

• Like 1

Two things, Is the mask a n95 or n100. p95 or p 100. won't work very well.  The other thing to think about is what do you do with the mask after you take it off. I used to hang it on a nail next to my bench. Found out it would get small bugs in the filter and fumes on the mask where you put  your face.  I got my respirator at harbor freight  it only a n 95 , but comes with a plastic cover for the face area. This helps the mask last longer.  I take the face cover out of work area, so it won't get fumes on it.  When done pouring I take the  respirator, put on the face cover and put it in a plastic box that seals. Makes it last longer. 

• Like 1

Agree with Alsworms.

I used to do respirator fit testing for an aviation maintenance and paint shop using 3M respirators and filters.

First you need to get the right size for your face (sm/med/lg).  About 80 to 85% of users take a medium.

Second, you need a good seal just like Alsworms said. (Don't be afraid to tighten those headstraps - that's what they're there for.)  Beards are a no-no.  We also used banana oil and peppermint oil to test the seal.  If you could smell it, there wasn't a good seal.  Using your hands to cover the air inlets without cartridges, exhale.  This should cause the air to escape the mask around your face.  Next, still covering the air inlets, try to inhale.  The mask should remain firmly in place on your face and you should not be able to inhale or feel any air enter around the edge of the mask.  This means a good seal has been achieved.

Third, a mask should be stored in a recloseable ziploc bag with as much air removed from the bag as possible before closing off.  Filter cartridges don't have a longterm life so if not stored properly they can be useless real quick.  Life expectancy is based on the type and density of vapors being filtered out during inhalation.  Our paint shop life was 8 to 10 hours.  Again - if you can smell what you're using, first ensure there's a good seal, if the seal is not the problem then change the cartridges.  We used alcohol wipes to clean and disinfect the inside surfaces that contact the face between uses.  This was especially important during those sweaty summer months...

The only respirator I have used is 3M model 6200 half  facepiece (available thru my local WalMart for $16.65) with an organic vapor/acid gas filter (also WalMart - $8.50 per pair).

Rick

Edited by rixon529
Clarification.
  • Like 2