M-D

Hook options for tapered tube jig mold

I am wanting to start making the tapered tube jig heads to fish tube jigs with using the do-it TUBE-TX mold.

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Tapered-Tube-Skirt-JigbrSz-18-316-14-516-38brHk-410-or-413brCollar-None_p_1031.html

In regards to the hooks, I am wanting to use a wide gap hook and am looking at the Eagle Claw L111BP and the Gamakatsu 2014. I do not have the hooks on hand to compare. I have been using some of the Stupid Tube jig heads and I believe they are using the gamakatsu hook.

When I look at the images of both online, it seems to me that they are some variations between the two around the bend of the hook and the angle of the hook point in relation to the eye of the hook. Can anyone confirm this?

I really like the Gama hooks but I like the EC hook prices much better.

I may be making a big deal of nothing but I just have never rigged one of the jig heads with the EC hook and am worried that it may not rig as well as the Gama does.

Also, will I have to make any mods to the mold to accept either of these hooks?

THANKS in advance for your thoughts!!

I don't have that mold because I don't like using heavy wire hooks for tube jigs but I think I can help with the hooks. The Gamakatsu 2014 is a hook I used and it isn't as heavy as the 410 that mold calls for and the inside eye diameter is small so if there is a post you may have to grind it off, no big deal. The EC 111BP should work well since it is recommended for molds that use the 410 and that hook is actually great but most of the newer EC black platinum series are very good.  I doubt you see any difference in performance with the EC compared to the Gamakatsu, the only deal is the smallest in either hook is a 3/0. There are other hooks that will fit but you want the EWG so it leaves only 1 other that I use a lot of, the Owner 5304 deep throat. It isn't an EWG but the deep throat hooks as well as a round bend and holds as well as the EWG while having a gap that is larger than the round bend but not quite as large as the EWG.  They are pricey but worth it,  but if you want a solid hook without the cost you won't be sorry with the 111BP, you just need to know that they are a heavy wire hook.

I was hoping you would chime in smalljaw! Thanks for the intel, I think I will roll with the EC 111BP.

It has been awhile since I priced molds and hooks, any thoughts on best places to purchase?

The Gama 2014 is a much smaller hook than the 111BP in the same sizes.

3219hooks.jpg

Gami 2014 in the mold.
3219_2014.jpg

L111bp in the mold.
3219_111bp.jpg

The L111 3/0 will  fit in  4 of the 5 cavities but it does not sit right in 2 of the cavities.  It will not fit in the largest cavity due to the body of the mold hitting hte point of the hook.

Edited by JBarlow
  • Like 1

Thanks for that great detail Barlow!

Can you post a photo of the hooks with the ruler showing the length?

Looks like the 3/0 EC is close to the 4/0 Gama.

I cannot use a hook any longer than the Gamakatsu 4/0 or it will be too long for the tube.

12 minutes ago, M-D said:

Thanks for that great detail Barlow!

Can you post a photo of the hooks with the ruler showing the length?

Looks like the 3/0 EC is close to the 4/0 Gama.

I cannot use a hook any longer than the Gamakatsu 4/0 or it will be too long for the tube.

5336.jpg

• Like 1

THANKS so much for taking the time to post up these photos JBarlow!!  Looks like the EC is maybe a 1/16" longer which would probably not be a deal breaker but the fact that it does not fit a couple of the cavities is not good. Which cavity besides the 3/8 OZ does it not fit?

3 hours ago, M-D said:

THANKS so much for taking the time to post up these photos JBarlow!!  Looks like the EC is maybe a 1/16" longer which would probably not be a deal breaker but the fact that it does not fit a couple of the cavities is not good. Which cavity besides the 3/8 OZ does it not fit?

Here is a picture so you can see what you will need to do to this mold to make the L111 fit into the largest cavity. 

3219_post.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:52 PM, JBarlow said:

5336.jpg

I was able to get these two hooks to fit in all cavities without any modification.

For the record I buy all my Do-It molds and hooks from Barlow's just because they list hook diameter and alternates.

Allen

Update...

I pulled the trigger on the mold and 400 of the Gami 2014 4/0 hooks. Got them all poured over Memorial Day weekend and very happy with the results. I kept 40 or so of 3 different sizes and the rest have already been bought up buy club members and friends!

THANKS again for all the help fellas! This is an awesome site!

IMG_20170604_090501658_zpsaal1zum1.jpg

• Like 1