Jfishin

Clear coat problem

Hi everyone I'm new to the site and just started custom painting crankbaits with an airbrush. I use Devon 2 ton for clear coat. I had an issue with a few baits where it looked like the whole bait was covered right after I put the clear coat on but when it dried there were a few missed spots. So being a rookie I thought.. self leveling epoxy I'll just touch the up those spots and be good. Not the case. Now I have high spots in the clear coat. Can I just do another thin layer of clear and be good? Any advice would be appreciated. I'd also show some pictures but the site is telling me my files are to big to upload from my phone? 

To fill in a missed spot you have to apply the exact amount of epoxy that should have been applied originally, which is unlikely to happen.   To get back to a smooth finish you'll have to sand the bumps down before applying a new overall coat.  Otherwise the unevenness will simply print through the new coat.

Depends on how high your high spots are.  Next coat will improve it but if there is a fair size bump you might want to improve the situation by using some fine grit abrasive paper on a craft stick.  The reason to use a craft stick is to try and hit the bump only.  Don't try and get it all the way flush you will wind up going thru and damaging your paint work.  If you try to sand with a soft backing on the grit, it will touch the thinner areas and damage the paint right away.

Next time you have to touch up the epoxy and it is beginning to cure just like when you could see a bump, take your heat gun and warm the lure a little and it  will help the epoxy spread out evenly. Just like everything else...don't overdo it.

• Like 1

Welcome to TU! I would also add to make sure you are using 30 min. DT2 and not the 5 min.  5 Min will give you problems and it yellows after a while.  You can thin DT2  with a FEW drops of denatured alcohol to gain a few more minutes working time.  Learn to work quickly. Lure turners will help level the epoxy really well. The parts are cheap and turners are pretty easy to make. There are some pics in the Homemade Tools forum.