RSS

Scroll Saw from Jigsaw

Hi

I want to share my home made Scroll Saw from jigsaw,   it works fine and as expected.

It was amazing journey of last 6-8 months to reach a final mile stone.  As  history tells us that need is the mother of all inventions which  proved true in my case as well.

By mistake I purchased Jig saw with a view to cut timber as well as profile for the wood lures. I tried a lot with jigsaw but could not handle it even while cutting the timber for lures forget about cutting out profile of the lures.

This was a great set back for me and spend good time on internet to find any source which can give me

some idea to utilize my jigsaw to lure making. Got  great idea from the videos posted by Paoson woodworking and Sergio Acuna Padin on YouTube.

I am not a carpenter, but through resource online I could make the body for my scroll saw and again got struck as how to mount the upper arm to hold the blade as well as adopter for jigsaw on other side. Could not find any good source online and started trying on a piece of paper with some ideas using basic common sense.

Made arm spring with welding steel wire in order to give tension and for the jigsaw adapter I cut my jigsaw blade to suitable length. Now the challenge was to drill a hole in the blade to make connection of scroll saw blade. The blade of jigsaw is made up of hard steel which cannot be drill through and it will break. I lost few blades in doing so and then thought of getting it done from a workshop. They also broke few blades while trying to drill hole and finally they heat the blade and succeeded in making hole.

I spend lot of time in understanding and trying to develop my own idea for the adapters at both the end and finally the day has come to run my home made scroll saw made from  jigsaw. Still I need to do final touch up  here and there but functionally it works great. I cut first profile of lure  today and also bib slot on the same with bib cutting jig made as per Paul Adam  tutorial.

Here are few Pictures of the same, you see the actual working on you-tube here is the link: 

591f2f9b908a2_FINECUTOFLUREPROFILEWITHHMSCROLLSAW.JPG.38d900624be6666993e56339167a1ee7.JPG591f2fa374f6c_FirstluresafterProfilecuttingsanding.JPG.a24ac1f053c4dc9d400b0f224ca40e7b.JPGThanks, Raghubir

• Like 3

Hi Stretcher

Rockwell tool is also fantastic, at the cost of $99  its not available in Dubai and if i buy online end up paying heavy customs.

Here normal scroll saw are available costing $500 plus and what i made cost me only $50 and time.

Thanks, Raghubir

On 5/19/2017 at 11:28 AM, sudanraghu2210 said:

Hi

I want to share my home made Scroll Saw from jigsaw,   it works fine and as expected.

It was amazing journey of last 6-8 months to reach a final mile stone.  As  history tells us that need is the mother of all inventions which  proved true in my case as well.

By mistake I purchased Jig saw with a view to cut timber as well as profile for the wood lures. I tried a lot with jigsaw but could not handle it even while cutting the timber for lures forget about cutting out profile of the lures.

This was a great set back for me and spend good time on internet to find any source which can give me

some idea to utilize my jigsaw to lure making. Got  great idea from the videos posted by Paoson woodworking and Sergio Acuna Padin on YouTube.

I am not a carpenter, but through resource online I could make the body for my scroll saw and again got struck as how to mount the upper arm to hold the blade as well as adopter for jigsaw on other side. Could not find any good source online and started trying on a piece of paper with some ideas using basic common sense.

Made arm spring with welding steel wire in order to give tension and for the jigsaw adapter I cut my jigsaw blade to suitable length. Now the challenge was to drill a hole in the blade to make connection of scroll saw blade. The blade of jigsaw is made up of hard steel which cannot be drill through and it will break. I lost few blades in doing so and then thought of getting it done from a workshop. They also broke few blades while trying to drill hole and finally they heat the blade and succeeded in making hole.

I spend lot of time in understanding and trying to develop my own idea for the adapters at both the end and finally the day has come to run my home made scroll saw made from  jigsaw. Still I need to do final touch up  here and there but functionally it works great. I cut first profile of lure  today and also bib slot on the same with bib cutting jig made as per Paul Adam  tutorial.

Here are few Pictures of the same, you see the actual working on you-tube here is the link: 

591f2f9b908a2_FINECUTOFLUREPROFILEWITHHMSCROLLSAW.JPG.38d900624be6666993e56339167a1ee7.JPG591f2fa374f6c_FirstluresafterProfilecuttingsanding.JPG.a24ac1f053c4dc9d400b0f224ca40e7b.JPGThanks, Raghubir

Well done!  I hope you get years of service from it, and catch a ton of fish on your baits!

I regret for very late replying, because i was going through another challenging task of saving my job here in Dubai.

Thank you all for your feedback, infact there is saying "need is the mother of invention" so here we are.:)

Commercially available scroll saw here in UAE are very expensive and cannot think of buying one for my hobby. Thaught better to do something at a very low cost, collected idea from various sources and started the project. It was challenging because i have zero knowledge of carpentory work, i finished few lure  as follows:

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

bunch lures1.jpg

bunch of lures2.JPG