Jig Man

RCBS melting pot

I'm tired of fixing my Lee pot so I've decided to get an RCBS.  I am having trouble locating one.  Midway states that they are discontinued and on one site it stated they are no longer being made.  Did I wait too long to get one?

Edited by Jig Man

They have replaced the Pro Melt with a newer version that has a PID heat controller instead of the analog thermostat.  I'm not sure where its available just yet.  The RCBS website shows it at a pretty expensive price, but I have heard from other folks that it can be had much cheaper if you shop around. 

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

Thanks for the info guys.  I found one at Brownell's for $379 with free shipping.  I am really looking forward to getting it.  My old pot was dripping so I emptied it out and cleaned it like I have a dozen times but this time I made it worse.   Now it has a constant drip which is driving me nuts.

One thing I would caution when you get your Pro Melt. Wear gloves while pouring.  (you should anyway)  It flows so much faster and because of the greater column/volume of lead it can hold with so much more head pressure that when A mold fills it may spray lead out of the full sprue a little bit.  It fills problem molds better because of this, but it could be very unpleasant if your hand is too close.  I turn the flow regulation screw on top as far down as I can force myself to, and then adjust back up if I have any fill issues. 

4 hours ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

One thing I would caution when you get your Pro Melt. Wear gloves while pouring.  (you should anyway)  It flows so much faster and because of the greater column/volume of lead it can hold with so much more head pressure that when A mold fills it may spray lead out of the full sprue a little bit.  It fills problem molds better because of this, but it could be very unpleasant if your hand is too close.  I turn the flow regulation screw on top as far down as I can force myself to, and then adjust back up if I have any fill issues. 

This is very good advice.... I love mine.

The flow control is really nice, I have a modified jig mold that I had to ladle pour but with the RCBS I simply turn the set screw up a bit and presto, perfect every time!!! It is a shame you couldn't have taken advantage of the $75 rebate last year, I was just getting ready to send my 2nd LEE out to get refurbished when my wife told me to stop playing with them and get a good one. It was perfect timing, Midway had it on sale and that, combined with the rebate put my final cost down to $264. I was lucky, if it wasn't for my wife watching me box up my LEE and telling me to get the better one I'd be in the same situation, looking for one or waiting on the new version to come out, but knowing what I know now, I would have no problem if I had to pay more, the thing has better heat adjustment, the flow control, adjustable mold rest and after 15 months of hard use there is still no drips, incredible!!

smalljaw that is the same thing that happened to me.  I was getting ready to order new parts for my Lee pot.  My wife asked if I hadn't done that a few years back.  I replied that I had and the dripping was bad and I couldn't stop it.  She asked if there weren't something on the market that worked better.  I told her what you guys have been saying about the RCBS but that it was very expensive.

Her response was, "You just go around once so just go ahead and get the good one and be done with it."  So that is what I did.  I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

My RCBS has dripped for several years now. Plunger is probably worn that it won't seal any more.  I keep a meatloaf pan under it to control the few drips I do get. Can still get the mold under there with the pan there.