ayetti

color patterns you fish the most

Got a fishing related hard bait making question.  So historically I have tended to buy my hard baits painted in one of a couple different patterns.  I don't think it is a testament so much to their efficacy on my local water, more that they are statistically more likely to work for me than an untested obscure pattern. My question for all you experienced bait makers out there is, when you go fishing do you tend to just reach for that trusted natural pattern or do you take a chance and work through a few patterns depending on the time of year and style of bait? 

I'm excited about the ability to fish patterns I would have been afraid to purchase factory finished, but im also realistic about what a huge role confidence and preconceived ideas play in fishing.  Just curious how this has played out for all of you more experienced guys.  Im loving painting some of the random patterns but in the back of my mind I still have that lingering doubt, thinking they may not see much water.  

Yellow Perch, Gizzard and Threadfin Shad are the dominant forage here. Water color, sun, or clouds are great starting points for color choices with me. Ghost in clear water and sunny conditions, bright or metallic with off colored water or clouds. Lots of Gills here also.

Edited by NM Hevi
  • Like 1

A simple Shad pattern works everywhere even if shad are not present. Easy to paint too.

Paint pearl white over the clear blank and you get a ghost shad.

Paint with opaque white as a base and then pearl white and it looks like the bottom one. 

You can use different transparent colors on the upper sides like gold, pearl silver pearl, light gray, green, blue, purple. pink. etc

I use a hole punch in a business card as a mask for the dot

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0068.JPG

DSCN0161.JPG

Edited by MonteSS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MonteSS said:

A simple Shad pattern works everywhere even if shad are not present. Easy to paint too.

Paint pearl white over the clear blank and you get a ghost shad.

Paint with opaque white as a base and then pearl white and it looks like the bottom one. 

You can use different transparent colors on the upper sides like gold, pearl silver pearl, light gray, green, blue, purple. pink. etc

I use a hole punch in a business card as a mask for the dot

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0068.JPG

DSCN0161.JPG

Nice looking baits! Thanks for reminding me to put some yellow in some of my shad patterns.