GoTakeANap

Leftover Sprues

I haven't used a meat grinder on my spruces and leftovers as I don't want to contaminate mine with plastisol. I use it to process venison. That said, a meat grinder cuts meat into small pieces and the pushing action of the screw makes it look tubular and the water and soft tissue tend to bind the small pieces. I have talked to one of the moldmakers and he said grinding your spruces works very well for reheats. With them chopped in small pieces it takes less time to remelt and lessens the chance of burning the remelts.

• Like 2

Whether hand cranked or electric most meat grinders will do a good job breaking up scrap that can be re-used or recycled. Without some sort of lubrication though the scrap will look like ground beef and kind of stick together making it harder to re-use. Use some worm oil, softener, or even off-spec virgin plastisol you might want to off load to act your lubricant in the ginder and the plastic should cut up into decent pellets. You can either pre-lube the scrap and then dump it in the grinder; or dump it in dry and then pour in some lube. Just make sure whatever lubricant you use is compatible with plastisol.

Sort your scrap if possible and re-use in the same color or look alike colors. For instance you should be able to use Watermelon scrap in some Green Pumpkin your pouring with no issues. As a rule I try to use no more that 25% scrap to Virgin Plastisol. Remember that your scrap has been through decent heat cycle and has probably consumed some of its heat stabilizer so add some if and only if needed.

• Like 2

I have a hand meat grinder it works but not very well. It is hard to turn and is not worth the time. if the holes were larger it might help but mine has about 1/4" or smaller so make sure it has different size plates. Has anybody tried a blender?? Cub48