Bricklayer

Lure Drying RPM

I think the common speed for most of us is 5-6 rpm. Someone gave me  a 10-12 rpm motor and it was way too fast,  went and got another 5-6 and all was good.  Many guys use rotisserie motors all the time and have great success, don't know if their all geared that low.  If it works don't fix it! Here's a link to another thread with a link to ebay for the cheap microwave  motors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222320073394?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been using a turntable motor that was salvaged from an old microwave for over 8 years. The turner I built will turn 8 bass sized baits. If your planning on building one that will turn a large number of baits, or one that will be turning big lures, then you might want to invest in a rotisserie motor since they have more torque and will handle heavier loads.

Ben

2 hours ago, RayburnGuy said:

I've been using a turntable motor that was salvaged from an old microwave for over 8 years. The turner I built will turn 8 bass sized baits. If your planning on building one that will turn a large number of baits, or one that will be turning big lures, then you might want to invest in a rotisserie motor since they have more torque and will handle heavier loads.

Ben

That's what the op said he is using

5 hours ago, gaspumper said:

That's what the op said he is using

Yes, and he was advised that a 2 rpm rotisserie motor was too slow. Given that information, along with my suggestion, he should be able to come to the appropriate decision. Not everyone has to have everything spelled out for them detail by detail.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that 2 rpm is too slow, if it works and you don't get runs or drips, have at it.  I am sayng 10-12 rpm is way too fast. I was passing along my experience and some of the info I learned while researching to build my turners. Microwave motors are cheap and readily available, the same cost to me as a rotisserie motor, so thats what I went with. If I'd had a roterisserie lying around I would have built off of that. 

Here are pics of the two turners I've built.  The green one has a 5-6 rpm motor and will hold 16 baits,  up to a 110 jerkbait or a Spro Fat Poppa in length,  on the alligator clip posts on the center shaft.  It can hold 8 larger baits wired from end to end. The all yellow turner (5-6rpm) can hold up to 36 baits at once and I have had 16 wooden swimbait rats( 2 pieces each, approx. 1 oz per piece) for a total of 32 pcs turning at once. I had a 10-12rpm on the larger turner to start with, but it move so quick it would fling a bait or two off. The larger turner is 42 inches long total. The lure posts are 4 inches apart so I can get my Sasquach sized hands in between each to open the alligator clips  without touching the adjacent drying lures.

I cannabilized a microwave  once for the motor and it had a plastic drive shaft. I didn't think that would not hold up long, so I went with the motors posted in the link above. They have a metal drive shaft with a hole through them sideways. So I just drill a corrosponding hole in a larger piece of thin steel tubing, slide over the driveshaft and align the holes and run a small piece of wire through both holes and tighten. Drilled a hole in the axle of the turner to match and epoxied the drive shaft in. I bought them locally, for $14.00 ea, at an electronics shop. Bought the alligator clips on ebay 100@$8.00.  Wooden dowels from Wally World  for $2.00.  The rest of the parts were scrap or stuff I saved over the years. I like having an on/off switch for convenience so I always wire one in. Don't think I have 20$ in either turner.

I don't know if I got lucky with the way these turned out, but I have not had any issues with the motor turning that much weight. The motor does get a little warm when in use but nothing scary. I like these motors better than the rotisserrie motors because they have a round driveshaft rather than a square one and that was easier for me to secure to the axle of the turner. 

I agree with Ben about the rotisserie for real big stuff as they are made to rotate roasts and birds and stuff heavier than we would ever try to make.  I have used DT2, Etex and KBS and they all finish equally well, although nothing beats KBS . Hope you might have found some useful info here, good luck with your project!!

101_0986.JPG

101_0988.JPG

• Like 1

This wheel is a barge lift (the Falkirk Wheel). It shifts 500,000Kg (500 metric tonnes) and is driven by 10 motors with a total power rating of 22.5KW. It raises and lowers canal boats through a height of 79-feet.

My point is that a small motor is capable of doing the job, but there must be balance, even loading.

As for rotation speed; before I built a turner, I would up-end my coated lure every couple of minutes, and they turned out just fine. For a viscous coating like D2T, I don't see a problem with 2rpm.

DAve

19 hours ago, Goodwithworms said:

I use a  CRB rod dryer quite a bit for my rods.  I think it turns at 9rpm.  I can modify to allow it to do double duty for me.   Any opinions on the speed?  As for a top coat  I will  use Flex coat and or Loctite.

The speed is fine.

Dave

Hey guy's, im not far from the Falkirk wheel, being a responsible adult I will not be tempted to attach a big glider or two and take pics , actually if I was just a tad younger and sillier I would be sorely temted to go over at night and  paint the next barge in line for the 1st  morning lift  in a nice firetiger pattern ( obviously with water based paints, see- responsible adult now) If you hear about a man arrested for Falkirk wheel fishing lure shenanigans you'll know I've martyred myself in the name of T.U .....glider

15 hours ago, ravenlures said:

Has anyone ever make a rotator within a hot box to speed thing up.

Wayne

Yep ! I have mine in my spray booth, just close the sliding poly carbonate door and turn on a 100w spot light, heats it to 20c in winter and about 30c in summer--(usually turn it on at night), has a timer on the power cord so it turns off after a few hours---Good for drying primer etc too.

Pete