ParkerFly

Help identifying this jig

I have never come across a jig like that, my guess is was a saltwater or a custom head.  The reason I say saltwater is because of the collar, it has a really deep collar with a large bottom and you normally see that with squid skirts and not regular silicone or rubber skirts that bass anglers typically use.

It looks like a custom or semi custom "flair" jig.  Often they are used in saltwater, but I have made a couple flair jig molds for freshwater guys as well.  The deep collar with the exaggerated ridge causes the feather,fur,etc to stick out very wide away from the jig.  When its pulled through the water it lays down, and then flairs back out wide again as the jig slows down again.  It gives a really impressive pulsing action as it scoots through the water on some types of faster pause and go retrieves as well.  Most I've done were not weedless, but adding a slot for a pin is not a big deal at the time its made. 

I am probably remembering wrong, but it sure looks like some that "Stamina" tackle made about forever ago.  I use to have some of those, in 3/4 or 1 oz sizes, that used for what is now called "punching".  The deep color helped hold skirts on better when going through thick matted vegetation and the weed guard is obvious.  I use to have to superglue plastics on it.

Get with Lurepartsonline.com, who once was Stamina, and see if they have it in their archive. 

8 hours ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

It looks like a custom or semi custom "flair" jig.  Often they are used in saltwater, but I have made a couple flair jig molds for freshwater guys as well.  The deep collar with the exaggerated ridge causes the feather,fur,etc to stick out very wide away from the jig.  When its pulled through the water it lays down, and then flairs back out wide again as the jig slows down again.  It gives a really impressive pulsing action as it scoots through the water on some types of faster pause and go retrieves as well.  Most I've done were not weedless, but adding a slot for a pin is not a big deal at the time its made. 

The flare is popular in some areas for Cobia fishing.  Have seen several custom Squid head molds for this, and the feathers  natural bends going all different directions so the flare is really pronounced.  Tackle shop owner I deal with just showed me a picture of one they used at the "Outer Banks" off the coast of the Carolina's last week. Not weedless though. 

On 6/3/2017 at 7:28 PM, ParkerFly said:

These were discontinued years ago, that I know, but aim curious if anyone can identify this jig. It had a weed guard and skirt at one time.

1496532465623-1321645483.jpg

I would like to know also, wouldn't mind having some of these.