Jetters

Color

So my husband is wanting to start making his own soft plastic baits. We were looking into all the stuff you need and I had a question about the glitter used in them. Can you use just regular glitter like craft glitter or do you have to buy a certain kind?

The glitter used should be of the high heat type. Most of the stuff suppliers sell is just that. You will get responses that say some others will work but they always come with a "but" or "some colors". Buy these from suppliers and you should never really have an issue.  Add them after heating and when reheating keep the temp just high enough to melt the plastic  again.  

If they are not high temp glitter it will melt and u will have the color glitter u put in it. I put some red glitter in and had pink plastic. I did try some silver and it worked great just use a small amount plastisol and heat it with the glitter in it and go to your 350f temp  if it melts or bleeds it's not high temp. I have also heard some silver is metal or has  metal in it but the only problem i had was from a supplier and it was where some got clumped together on the side of the cup. So i try to make sure i have it stir it in good. Cub48

Go to Baitjunkys website, and contact Leonard to ask your questions.

I use his hi temp glitter, and no longer have problems with bleeding.  

I add my glitter and color after the plastisol has reached 350 and been converted to usable, but before I add my colorant.  That way, any coloring the glitter adds will already be in the plastisol when I  begin adding my colorant.

36 minutes ago, porkmeatballs said:

How do you guys get the glitter to spread evenly throughout the plastic? I tried to make it do that, but the glitter just sank to the bottom of the plastic.

Stir, stir, stir and stir some more.  The hotter your plastic, the faster glitter will settle.

• Like 1

It could settle a bit. Better to lower the temp and it will suspend much better. I am guessing you don't have a way of checking the temp of the plastic?  If not get one cause if glitter settles that fast for you, temp is way to high(350+). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Nope I don't have a temp checking device... Could I just wait for the plastic to cool a bit and then add the glitter?

You could but you still won't know when to add it. Unless you have a baseline of how the plastic should look then you will have problems that are random. Buy a devise and most of the problems will go away. 

• Like 1

I found that I was able to control how my plastic poured very easily, once I got a digital infra red thermometer like on BaitJunky's site.

Being able to know what the plastic temp is before you pour/shoot lets you vary the temp to get different molds to shoot better.

I do laminates by filling  one half of the body in one side of the open mold  with one color by hand, and then closing the mold and shooting the second color.  

I found I need to shoot at 335-340 to get the second color to go past the first and fill the claws, and to really bond with the first.  I could never have done that without the digital thermometer.

Like Apdriver said, just be sure to stir the plastic before you take the temp, because it will be hotter in the middle than on the surface.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, porkmeatballs said:

Huh.  Alright, thanks Frank! I'll have to decide whether or not I want to spend the money on a devise.  About how much does one cost and where would I buy one?

You could just go to a Home Depot lowes or harbor freight and get one too. No shipping and if it don't work return it. About 25 dollars should get you there. And you won't pull your hair out every time you pour.  

• Like 1