ROD W

BEAT UP BAITS

I see photos in the gallery of some real good looking baits.     "Artwork"    Baits are made to catch fish not set on display. How about some photos of home made baits that have had some serious fish attention. I'm talking Muskie, Pike maybe one of those Peacock Bass type gnawed upon. How about it?

sounds awesome.  I used to live across the bridge from you, over in Counsil Bluffs.  Liked it back there but it was just a 6 month stay unfortunatly.  I never was able to do any fishing while i was there, but loved having basspro shops near the house.  Good luck in minnesota.

I usually repaint mine when they first start looking bad. My muskies are to far apart to have many wore out. I have ruined more than a few by repainting a good working lure to have it never raise another musky. If the action is right I would just fish it right on to the end. I am odd about color but I also realize it is not near as important as action, I think, sometimes, maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Musky Glenn said:

Mark, that is asking a lot of finger nail polish. lol I have two of these Bagley lures that I keep put up just to remember THE day. The musky that did this was only eight pounds.593689e9ca419_redbagley.thumb.jpg.de1849aba8ffc753d04e41b2b76b39dc.jpg

Man, you could get arrested for cruelty to lures!  

That fight must have been fun!  I don't think nail polish will help that bait!

Battle scared baits are the best.

I have a Predator Baits wiggle wart hanging over my bench that had it's belly hanger twisted 90 degrees by a 30" salmon.  I still get a kick out of it every time I look at it.   I caught in on the San Joaquin River, where salmon are catch and release, so I put it in my livewell for an hour with some Rejuvenade, and it went from belly up when it went in to feisty when I released it.   A fun memory.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

I like the idea, but I can see the kidding ........ if it had been my lure it would not have been beat up that bad.......my lures are stronger then that........my lures are stronger then yours....   ROFLOL

I think I will keep my lures out of this one, but, maybe, I might post a beat up lure that someone else made.  LOL  :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

I like the idea, but I can see the kidding ........ if it had been my lure it would not have been beat up that bad.......my lures are stronger then that........my lures are stronger then yours....   ROFLOL

I think I will keep my lures out of this one, but, maybe, I might post a beat up lure that someone else made.  LOL  :D

You must not be after fish with teeth. Up north a bait with no marks is a virgin bait

• Like 1

LOL, I have my Tiger Muskies, and when I was in Louisiana there were lots of species with "teeth".

Several of my lures have caught Tiger Fish in Africa and Golden Dorado in South America, and no, I do not warrant them against being crushed or poked full of holes.  :o   Mine usually hold up pretty well, but it was just recently that a guy on this site wanted soft plastic to be able to hold up to 20 Speckled Sea Trout and Redfish.  He was put off that plastisol was not holding up to fish with teeth and power.  :unsure:

I just know how some of the competitiveness is on this site.  :yes:

BUT, Rod, I quite agree, no marks means the bait either is virgin or can't attract fish.  Hehe

That color Bagley was discontinued for several years, way back yonder, and to get Bagley to run a batch we had to buy 5 dozen at a time. Don't know how many times we bought those 5 dozen at a time. We knew they wouldn't last but they sure did catch fish. Some years that was the hot ticket and some years they wouldn't touch them. Must have had to do with the condition of the crawfish at that time. That was mostly Bass fishing.

Another site I frequent;slammers are the hot ticket and some of the pictures that are shown would make you guys cringe.They have so much hook rash that they are down to bear wood and they are still catching impressive fish.One guy (probably the best on the site) soaks a bait overnight so it will dive to a desired depth.I'd have to agree that action not beauty is the most important.Beauty catches the angler action catches the fish!I've got a tackle box full of lures that look good in your hand but don't produce.

• Like 2

I made myself a quick suick replica (bit bigger and a bit more weight) before I headed up to eagle nest lodge to do some guiding. Got out a bit on my own. Caught lots of pike. This was the biggest. On my OWN lure. Sure adds to the feeling of catching a fish!! Needs a few more layers of epoxy for proper protection. 

IMG_3435.JPG

• Like 1

I've fished in many places for many species, from ocean waters to mountain rivers, for toothy fish to pretty much gummies. These days I enjoy floating flowing rivers in the mountains or coming out of them, ponds and small but very well stocked lakes (private). I like going where many don't go for one reason or another. I repaint wore out plugs, got one in the a thread in this forum. I lose a lot more then I repaint, by fish or by structure.

It doesn't matter to me if it's a toothy fish or not. I'm happy catching a big bull bream with a ultra light and 2 lb. test line. I just enjoy fishing and looking for big fish with very light tackle.

By the way peacock bass don't  have anything you can call toothy, They are more like the north american black bass (bucket mouth), same family. Just sayin.

So I don't have any, sorry?

Dale

One of my biggest memories, a trophy if you will, was an 8" cutthroat trout.  LOL  It took me over an hour in that super shallow pool in a slow stream so clear you could see everything.  I had to drop to an 8x tippet, took a perfect dry fly cast and size, but I got it.

I understand Dale, Trophy can be relative.  That trout was sure not very big, but it was a challenge.  It would not even make a worthwhile bait for some of the other fish I have caught over the years, but I still remember it.  Sometimes fishing for something different or just exploring to see "what is there" makes it all worth while.

Take the Peacocks, It is not the teeth that makes them interesting, they have none.  But the general size, awesome topwater strikes, and color make me want to fish for them at least once in my life.

Still, Wouldn't you like to fish for Wolf Fish or Tiger Fish at least once?  Hard fighters, great takes, huge teeth, huge size, mean like a junk yard dog!

Now, if I were to tackle Wolfs, Tigers, or Golden Dorado, it would not embarrass me to have a lure look like kindling. 

Edited by Anglinarcher
  • Like 1

I have a Bagley Bango Lure that is a simple Pearl Belly and Lavender Back. It is a fish catching sumbuck! It looks like "Hammered Dog Sh?t" I  have glued and repaired it several times and it just keeps catching em. Once I had a 20 pound strper eat it and I chased that fish all over the lake to get my lure back when normally I would have just tightened down the drag and broke him off.

I can do an exact match on about any bait made and have painted several old Bango Lures to match this one and the old one still catches twice the fish.   

I have had customers send me lures for custom painting and I would usually call the customer once I received them to "re-cap" what we were going to do to them. Several times I would have a customer say to me for instance...... " that Pop R you have there that is so chewed up is one of the fish catching-est baits I have ever tied on". I would reply " well why in the world do you want to paint it then"?  "lets just do the minor repair it need and keep on fishing it"! They would reply....... " thats a good idea"!  

Sooooo  ...... Survey says.......... if its chewed up and battlescared and still catching fish, and still serviceable and not taking on water, FISH IT!

Regards,

Blades

• Like 2

Here are a few reasons no one has posted their wore out lures

1. People don't want to share lures that are that good, or

2. People don't get their lures bitten that often by toothy critters, or

3. People don't want others to know that their lures do wear out, or

4. We have repaired all our wore out lures

Edited by Musky Glenn

How about some "Heat" beat up baits? 

This was posted by a guy that left a Pontoon Boat, with lures in the storage box, under a tarp, in storage for two weeks at Lake Powel in Northern AZ and Southern UT.  It gets hot down there and these commercial lures did not fair so well.  :o

He figured he lost about $200 worth of lures.

Meltedlures.jpg