CNC Molds N Stuff

Color Concentration

As some of you may recall I am a fan of the "old" watermelon color Bear's Baits used to sell a long time ago.  If you know that you also know he stopped being able to get it and sell it quite some time ago.  In my search for an exact replacement I received samples of colorants from a number of sources.  A couple weeks ago I used the very last of the old Bears watermelon, and last week I started trying the various alternatives I received from various sources. 

One I particularly noted, while not "perfectly" the color I wanted, was the Bait Junkies watermelon  Leo sent me back when we were still friendly.  After mixing it thoroughly since its been on the shelf for a long time I noted it was still pretty thick.  I used a tiny fraction of what I normally would have used from the old Bears color and it made a totally opaque bait.  Even the tails on my tiny little QD275 swimbaits were nearly opaque.  Its much more concentrated than most of the other colors.  I have to grudgingly admit that its probably a pretty good deal as plastic colorants go.   It seemed to be more concentrated than any of the "liquid" colorants I received as samples from all the sources.  If I decide to use it up, I'll have to cut back even further on the amount of additive to plastic.  I think I have 7 or 8 samples of "watermelon" on the shelf.  I have now tried them all. 

The only one that was more concentrated ( a lot more ) was some paste CarolinaMike sent me, but  I don't think that is available from the usual sources.  Its has a feel more like the colorant used by candle makers. 

Friendly, Good Laugh...

Bears old colorant came from spike it way back, They also sell paste. That bottle I sent you, Mix it to about a pint of worm oil and you should be pretty close to bears color. If it was opaque you put way to much in for sure, As that color is real easy to make translucent.

All else fails go to spike it, they do have the best color IMO.

• Like 1

Yea

1 minute ago, DaveMc1 said:

Watermelon 101 from Spike It, As noted by Leonard, Bear bought the paste and cut it WAY back. 

Yep.  I got the color.  In fact the best match was the paste Carolina Mike sent me.  I only made this post to point out that the BJ seemed to be a good deal from Leo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

Yea

Yep.  I got the color.  In fact the best match was the paste Carolina Mike sent me.  I only made this post to point out that the BJ seemed to be a good deal from Leo. 

Mike used the same stuff LOL. Mike was actually the one who sent Bear over to them initially

I have a bunch of the concentrate. I prefer to use Spikeit colorant. I can mix it well everytime. If I let them set for awhile it has about 20% of the stuff they cut it with. Others have more like 80%. The concentrate is hard to mix and so thick hard to measure unless you weigh it. The white I have will make a solid bait with 20 drops in a quart. Black ten drops in a quart. Trying to make drops can be a challenge cause you have to force it out of the bottle. 

On the watermelon Spikeit has two in there paste line. One is the 101 and the other is there kudzu(watermelon500) in there paste line.