redbeardbassguy

new to making my own soft plastic lures

hello I am new to this page and also getting into making my own lures. I guess my question is I know the start up is a little expensive, have people ended up saving money in the long run and how much plastic would you recommend getting at first, I don't know how much it takes to make lures, its just a hobby for now I guess we will see what the future holds and if I decide to push forward with it. Any advise from anybody would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you, Redbeard

In the long run yes you can save money after your initial purchases of the tools/ materials needed. I am new to it as well but looking at it I would say yes.  I usually buy a Quart of plastisol to see which one I like best. But like I said I'm just starting out as well and after I find the plastic I really like for my application then I will end up buying a gallon and then work my way up from there. Hope this helped.

Welcome to the site Redbeard.

Lucky is very correct that getting a quart of material is plenty to test it, learn the craft, then once you have found the plastisol you like you can get more.  One of the worse things that I see happening is someone buys bulk, does not use it up, the PVC settles to the bottom, and then the plastisol won't cure right.  Best to start small and grow as you learn.

Now, as for cost.  I fish a lot, far too much, and I just don't save by making my own.  What I do get is the colors, shapes, sizes, etc., that I cannot buy.  For me, I got into this as a way to get what I could not find on the market.  All of my lures, hard, soft, etc., are my own design.

As time went on, people started asking to buy this bait or that bait from me and now I am almost being forced to start a limited production.  Will it make money, probably not enough to be my "day job".

21 hours ago, redbeardbassguy said:

I know the start up is a little expensive, have people ended up saving money in the long run 

Sorry , took awhile  for me to stop laughing, so I could type.  If you want to do this to save money . Quit now! There is no feeling like catching a fish on a bait you made yourself. Design  your own bait , make your own mold and  pour a bait . That catches a fish.... Well that feeling  never gets old. Welcome to the site and enjoy the madness.

• Like 3

Even if u sell a few baits it not going to be cheaper unless u fish a lot. I make my own and still buy plastics. But like someone said it is a good feeling to catch a fish on a bait u made. There is another mold u want u  buy one then u like it so u need 2 more . Then u want to shoot 2 colors so u got to buy a twin injector. then u want a mini shooting star. So u are looking at 15 to 20 molds at 100.00 each a single injector 50.00   then twin injector 175.00  then 20 different color at 4.00 5 gallon of plastisol at 132.00 Microwave 25.00 at thrift store a pancake grill at 25.00  6 measure cups at 5.00 each  thermometer 10.00 clamps 40.00  that is 2067.00 and i know lot of little stuff i have bought that is not counted . Then another 1200.00 for the shooting star 120.00 for an extra injector and a heater for the extra injector 60.00!! around 3500.00 !!! How many packs could i buy for this amount. LOL Then i got lead jigs too we want go there!! Cub48

• Like 1

I would advise buying a gallon or a quart. I bought a 5 gallon bucket at the end of last summer and since I only pour baits for myself and a few for some buddies I have to hit it with a paint mixer once a week to keep it from settling. I don't think I'm even half way through it

Cub 48 left out every type of glitter plus powders, highlights, paints, etc.  Man I lost my shed over this.  It was nice for the mower, tools, and other items.  Now its strictly baits.  Microwaves, colorants, trays, plastisols, glitters, vices, tables, bags, scent, injectors, and all others.  Man I even purge from time to time only to accumulate more.  

Well i didn't want to go over board. LOL  like cookie sheets ,scents, bags, hardner, stabilizer, table, worm oil, ect,ect !!! Sounds like i might be trying to talk someone out of making plastic. But it is fun to see what u can come up with, Some times it is good sometimes it's looks bad u can always remelt and try again. Some one said buy a quart u can buy a gallon for almost what u can buy a quart for. Also the ones that don't use much at a time pour your 5 gallon in gallon containers and leave enough room to shake them up good, in the winter i will set them in a cooler to keep them from freezing. just another tip! some companies sell 5 gallons in gallon containers. u can order it any way u like it soft ,med, hard i use medium all the time but ordered a gallon of soft just to have. But before u buy 5 gallon either get a gallon and try or read  and read and see how others like it if there are comments that it yellows or turns easy stay away .  almost all have some bubbles but some are worse than others. Buy quality,  i bought some plastic molds and did not like them .so if u want to try something just buy one then if u like buy others. Same way with aluminum molds don't buy but 1 and see how it injects  see if it preforms  the way it should then buy others. Just a few tips that i learned the hard way Cub48

Awesome response.  Man this hobby is just so crazy addictive.  There are days when all the people around you say man what are you using and all you can say is I promise you that you dont have any.  I usually give a few to them when I leave just so they can have some fun too.  Three people have actually asked for my number before I left and now they are hooked too.