Thumper360

Built my first inline spinner. Can't figure this out. Help!

Hey guys. I'm obviously new to tackle making. To start out, I bought everything that was listed from a video on YouTube by the frugal fisherman. It is  intended for kings and silvers up here in Alaska. I built the first one and immediately went to try it out. I spent 2 hours trying different tweaks to get it to spin right. I like the low and slow up here for salmon and it just wobbles at slower speeds.  If I speed up the retrieve, it will spin, but it still has this annoying wobble to it. Just wanted to see if you guys have any advice. It just seems imbalanced. I wondering if the blade might be too big and the lure body is too short. Thanks in advance! 

20170613_015948.jpg

20170613_015934.jpg

Well, I feel like a complete idiot. I can't believe I couldn't figure that out and missed that watching the videos. But hey, I'm glad ita such an easy fix. Problem is, I made about 15 the same way last night, haha! Now I have to disassemble them and make them the right way. Thanks for the help guys. 

• Like 1

Update to the situation. I remade all rhe spinners the right way and went out for another test. They did better, but are still not consistent, and I am still not able to slow roll them like I can do with in my opinion the best spinner brand, and that is Kodiak Customs. Do i need a smaller blade to make this work? Because I noticed that the Kodiak Customs spinners I have seem to have much smaller blades than I am running from that video. Any more ideas? Or do I need to just start from scratch? 

I think your blade is a size or two too large and your clevis is too large.  I am going to put up a link to a downloadable chart from Jann's. It will be a valuable asset to you in trying to get your sizing correct. Download and print. All manner of bait components on the sizing chart. 

https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content/Parts_Sizing.htm

• Like 1

Thank you for that. That is really valuable. I think im just going to buy everything as close as I can get to my favorite commercial spinner. I just went off that video to get a feel for making them. I just don't like the action.  I did catch a fish on one though. Was a salmon or Steelhead like I was targeting, it was a baby Halibut, lol. 

That's what I have done in the past, Thumper. One other thing that I use from time to time is a set of calipers to measure wire diameter. You can pick up a set relatively inexpensive if you don't have one. Just lay the bait you want to reproduce on the sizing chart, measure wire diameter, order your components and your off to the races! Good luck and have fun!

11 hours ago, Thumper360 said:

I did catch a fish on one though. Was a salmon or Steelhead like I was targeting, it was a baby Halibut, lol. 

HA!  I used to target bass with in-lines, and often when I'd bounce one off the bottom in the canals I'd pick up channel cats.  Some places the channels would chase them down and crush them just like a bass does though too. 

Just a couple more :twocents: on your spinner construction question.  In line with what Mark posted above, I think the main thing you are missing to get a consistent spin is a good bearing surface under the clevis.  Here's a picture of three different size 5's I do.  Each has a different body but they all have a good bearing surface and they all fish real well.  Hope this helps...

1spin5bearingexample.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fatman said:

One reason you may be getting the wobbling is you're attaching the treble hook with a split ring.  That split ring lets the treble move way more than if it was attached directly to the wire. 

You definately need a larger bead.

Would adding a feathered treble damp down the wobble, like a tail on a kite stabilizes it?

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 8:28 AM, spinman said:

Just a couple more :twocents: on your spinner construction question.  In line with what Mark posted above, I think the main thing you are missing to get a consistent spin is a good bearing surface under the clevis.  Here's a picture of three different size 5's I do.  Each has a different body but they all have a good bearing surface and they all fish real well.  Hope this helps...

1spin5bearingexample.jpg

Thanks for your response. I recently switched to

a bigger bearing and it completely fixed the issue.  I have already caught 4 king salmon on the spinners that I have been making. Here is the biggest. It came in at 20 pounds! Thanks for the help guys. 

2017-06-25_05.00.27.jpg

Gaspumper is completely right about the clevis-to-blade placement. It's a little hard to tell from photo, but it appears that your shaft eye might be off-centered as well. This can be a source of spinner wobble. If getting a quick start to the spin is an issue try using a completely different style of blade with a rounder profile and a cupped lip. French blades are great but don't always start right up.